Anyone done the RSPB birdwatch this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I don’t know one tit from another, can’t keep abreast of them alas.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Lots this year, cost me a fortune in seed!
Given our garden's only about10m2 I bought 70kg of sunflower seed last year.
Our tally was:
7 sparrows
1 blue tit (about 20 times)
3 goldfinch
2 magpies
3 wood pigeons
2 blackbirds
1 robin
2 dunnocks
and one LBJ sitting half hidden in the thicket at the bottom of the garden, might have been a warbler of some sort

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Did mine Friday as I have been working all weekend, the usual suspects turned up.

Blue Tit 2
Great Tit 3
Robin 1
Blackbird 2
Dunnocks 2
Chaffinch 4
Goldfinch 6
Wood Pigeon 3
Collared dove 4

Pied wagtail 1
greater spotted woodpecker 1
Grey wagtail 1

Lots this year, cost me a fortune in seed!
Out of interest, where do you buy the seed?
I get mine from Kennedy Wild Bird Food. 25kg of sunflower hearts are about £37 delivered

potsy

Rambler
I get mine from Kennedy Wild Bird Food. 25kg of sunflower hearts are about £37 delivered
Aldi!

They were doing 2kg bags of sunflower hearts last time they had the special offers, I think there was only me buying it, every time I went in I popped another 3 packs into the trolley ^_^

Things like suet pellets, mealworm etc I get delivered from Amazon.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That's better than most of the jokes in the "Any Good Jokes?" thread...
:thanks:

OP
OP
mikeymustard
garden wildlife direct - currently 25kg for £25.99, and delivered in 2 sacks or Love garden Birds - 25kg for 24.79 but delivered less conveniently in one sack. I check which is cheapest each time and decide whether I want the faff of one mahoosive bag.
I buy suet sticks from my local pet supplies man; asked him how much he could get me 25kg of sunflower for, thinking if it wasn't much more I'd use him and he told me £45. After I'd picked my jaw off the floor he said it cost him 40 from his supplier! I suggested he have a chat with his wholesaler cos he was being scalped and made a hasty exit

OP
OP
mikeymustard
The RSGB will be pleased to know I shot a pigeon and ate it.
RSGB? Dya mean RSGDIB?
royal society for gunning down innocent birds?

That's the one that Prince Philip was patron of. Since giving up shooting he's started the RSSIC - royal society for smashing into commoners :smile:

My partner's got a swimming bud who's boyfriend is a gamekeeper: she went out beating for his employer last week and her dog caught a bunny wabbit. She was really looking forward to eating it, but one of the shooters - who pay 3 grand each for the shoot - nicked it while she was out! Obviously trying to get his money's worth!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
garden wildlife direct - currently 25kg for £25.99, and delivered in 2 sacks or Love garden Birds - 25kg for 24.79 but delivered less conveniently in one sack. I check which is cheapest each time and decide whether I want the faff of one mahoosive bag.
I buy suet sticks from my local pet supplies man; asked him how much he could get me 25kg of sunflower for, thinking if it wasn't much more I'd use him and he told me £45. After I'd picked my jaw off the floor he said it cost him 40 from his supplier! I suggested he have a chat with his wholesaler cos he was being scalped and made a hasty exit
Will take a look at those next time, thanks

My biggest problem is finding places to store the 25kg bags that the mice in the garage can't get to. They have an uncanny ability to find them and gnaw holes in the bags

potsy

Rambler
Thanks for that, just cost me £25 ^_^

I like the 2 bag delivery, last time I bought that much I had struggled for somewhere to store it too, these will be fine.

Top Bottom