Anyone else been geocaching...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzymum1

We go as a family though not as often as we did before mini-fuzzy#3 arrived. We usually try and find one or two everywhere we go on holiday - the kids love it. The older boys each have a travel bug which they keep track of. One is currently in denmark and one has been to spain and is just back in the UK.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
same here! our third made it a bit difficult covering some of the terrain with a buggy. Nice weather helps too!

TVC

Yep, I own three caches in the Leicester area Maz, (Search under the same user name as here), and a travel bug which after six months has got no further than Market Bosworth.

We are off to Australia in October and I've already identified several caches near the places we are staying (the map it function is great) so will spend September gathering a bunch of bugs to take.

longers

Legendary Member
Maz said:
Combining a pleasant walk with a treasure hunt.

That's exactly right.

I've had some of the best walks I've ever had doing this with the dog.
There's a very prolific cacher round here who's hidden loads in interesting little places. It's taken me to new places and I've approached and seen familiar places from different perspectives.

I've been cycling more than walking for the last couple of years (to the dogs dismay :smile:) but have found over a hundred and still haven't got a GPS :ohmy:.
I tend to prefer the ones on difficult terrain, 4's or 5's.

When I move I will definately start doing a few more as it will be a great way of learning about my new area.

Longers has probably answered my question. Why do you need GPS to find a point on a map? If you have a reading for it you just go there!

Or am I missing something.

Do people with tea shops or ice cream vans set up a point just on their doorstep??

TVC

Monst said:
Explain the sport....

It's all here:

http://www.geocaching.com/

Basically there are thousands of small containers called caches hidden all over the world. With access to the website and a GPS that gives Lat and Long (or an understanding of OS maps like longers) then you can find them.

There are a great range of locations, some are hidden in urban parks and are great for family caching with little kids to those in extreme places - there is one on top of Ben Nevis, and all points in between. Some caches require internet research to solve puzzles to the treasures location, or others may involve a tour of a location picking up clues as you go.

Go to the website and punch in your postcode, there might be one right under your nose.

Hope this helps.

Smeggers

The Velvet Curtain said:
Yep, I own three caches in the Leicester area Maz, (Search under the same user name as here), and a travel bug which after six months has got no further than Market Bosworth.

We are off to Australia in October and I've already identified several caches near the places we are staying (the map it function is great) so will spend September gathering a bunch of bugs to take.

Ive got two Travel Bugs that I should have re-planted years ago. they're currently in my office desk - so if anyone wants them, just PM me your addy.

Top Bottom