Anyone else register for the BWC this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well they were led there by Emma Pooley - so she's a silver medallist in the Olympics at Time Trialling and former World Champion - so it's fair to say she's got a good turn of speed on her !

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Yeah I didnt spot her when they went past, but on looking at the video I realised it was her.

mitchibob

Über Member
How was the 100 ? Looked bloody nasty from the TV Coverage. I'll put in for the ballot again next year though. Bound to be nicer weather eh ?

Bloody nasty! I really wish I'd put on a merino base layer. The wind and rain and hale I think was nearly worse than any of my winter training rides. Just wasn't quite as cold, but still bloody cold. Had to stop to put on an additional layer that I had in my Mini O-bag expecting to put on at the end. None of the roadies put on mudguards, so getting a tow was a face-full of water and grit, if anyone was going fast enough to be worth getting a tow off, at least where I started. Plus, Leith and Box Hill were closed due to 'casualties', so going to have to do again next year to ensure I get to cover the proper distance and at least be with people that don't descend through their gears when the gradient goes up 1 or 2 percent and dismount when it goes over 4%.

Also don't know how so many people survived just wearing their charity shirt, with no waterproof or other visible layers. For me it was only a couple degrees away from overshoes and full-on gloves. I even had to employ my thin neck warmer/bandana thing halfway that I use to stop shoot rattling around in my saddle bag. I was riding for the Stroke Association, but once the extra layer went on, nobody would've known that.

Brompton is definitely the bike to do this ride on though. Definitely adds to the fun.

20x30-PRMV2019.jpeg

And although the weather was horrible, it was still a great fun ride. The experience of riding through London at that speed is amazing. Just annoyed I didn't get to do Leith and Box Hill seeing as I was absolutely ready for them. Doing on a Brompton also means you get that many more cheers from the side of the road too!

Last edited:
I doff my cap to you. I was waiting for relatives to finish - they had a late start and the hills were closed due to the incidents - but I think it was for the best in those conditions. It was OK in the city on the Sunday - bit of drizzle but nothing major. It was only on the TV prog that you could see quite how nasty it was outside.

I'll try the ballot next year but CBA with my road bikes - I'll Brompton it now that I know brave trailblazers like you have got round OK !

mitchibob

Über Member
I doff my cap to you. I was waiting for relatives to finish - they had a late start and the hills were closed due to the incidents - but I think it was for the best in those conditions. It was OK in the city on the Sunday - bit of drizzle but nothing major. It was only on the TV prog that you could see quite how nasty it was outside.

I'll try the ballot next year but CBA with my road bikes - I'll Brompton it now that I know brave trailblazers like you have got round OK !

Thank you! But I wasn't the only one. Another guy got around the whole course on a Brommie ahead of me. He said there were a few, although thought a couple might just be doing the shorter routes. Saw one other at the start, but none afterwards. Think I might've passed someone on a Boris Bike, and Emma Pooley was riding a bike that looked like it weighed more than she did.

Don't suppose you have video of the second group coming past ? I didn't have the legs to make it to the first . Next time though...

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
...Emma Pooley was riding a bike that looked like it weighed more than she did.

Considering her Wiki page says she weighs 48kg, that's not that hard to imagine.

Top Bottom