Anyone else register for the BWC this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gizmo1994

To be honest, not many get up Leith Hill in one go. Usually because of traffic and everyone has to get off and walk up. Otherwise I have found the Brommie to be more than a match for many road bikes. Keep a good cadence and just reel them in as you near the top.

mitchibob

Über Member
I'm sticking with the Joseph Kousac Super-Firm Suspension block. Really helps keep a higher cadence. Parts of my body will hate me for that, but my legs love me ;-)

Doing in support of the Stroke Association and would ideally like to finish in under 7 hours on my M6L (although might go back to an E if it's good weather). Although, while I might discard the mudguards for a day (just to see if that's where the rattling was coming from), I'm thinking the mini O-bag might be useful depending on weather conditions. My body isn't aero enough to worry about the extra, plus I'm really hoping to spend as much time as possible on other people's back wheels, so aero doesn't come into it, right?

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Has anyone got any more details yet?

I thought I'd been sent an email telling me what time to be there etc, but I can't find it.

I did get a generic Brompton email the other day which mentioned there'd be more details being sent soon.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
447E91B6-FABA-4529-8C4A-757099588013.jpeg
EEE78F16-3061-4525-9537-6354DE8AF518.jpeg
Before and after.

Well it’s all over.

Got a lung full of dust and couldn’t have given it any more.

But Jesus, that lead group was fast. They flew past me on lap 5. At the time I was doing 21-22mph and I felt like I was going backwards.

As I was lapped, I didn’t get to do the full 8 laps. Completed 7 laps in 29:16 which I think averages out at 19.3mph.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Just done some quick calculations.

The winner completed all 8 laps in 27:19. The first lap was a nightmare because they'd left some barriers in place at the end of the mall which slowed everyone down, so I've take off his first lap and looked at his others.

3:28
3:13
3:24
3:23
3:23
3:17
3:08

The average of which is 3:19.

According to Strava, people registering a 3:19 on that course averaged 24.6 mph.

chriscross1966

Über Member
I was last male to not DNF.. lapped four times... :-)... Francesca shed her chain half a dozen times and i ran a lot of the race with an unnoticed rear flat.... can only go upwards from there....

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I was looking out for highly modified Brommies to see if I could spot you. There was a guy stood right next to me that I thought might be a contender - blue Brompton, massive chainring, no discernible rear internal hub, but still a shifter on the bars.

My first time taking part in the BWC after spectating last year. What a blast ! Loved it. Just couldnt hang onto the front group so was in a splinter of the second group. Very entertaining finding the barriers across the road at the start.

I did see the Bianchi Brompton - do the bars get in the way of the fold ?

Some very tricked out bikes there but I think it's the legs more than anything. I had a gopro on mine but unfortunately the SD Card has gone corrupt but I've found someone elses footage - you might spot yourselves here :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHAOmx3ZtvQ

How was the 100 ? Looked bloody nasty from the TV Coverage. I'll put in for the ballot again next year though. Bound to be nicer weather eh ?

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I think that was me at about 25:50 in that vid just as it makes it back around to the mall. Hard to tell as the footage is poor (viewing on my phone) but it would be around the right time as I remember the woman in the red skirt coming past me on birdcage walk.

I had a cheapo camera on mine but I’ve not yet had the chance to put the footage together yet.

Top Bottom