Anyone else signed up for the '09 Brompton World Championships?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
All these pictures were taken by Savage:

The first few Brompton Works Team riders (I assume?) cross the start line.
DSC_0042.jpg

Cranky crosses the start line.
DSC_0148.jpg

Will 1985 starts his second lap.
DSC_0200.jpg

White Suit Man passes Psychedelic Suit Man.
DSC_0227.jpg

Uncle Phil wheezes up to begin his second lap. (See what I mean about the jacket flapping?)
DSC_0246.jpg

Cranky starts his second lap.
DSC_0308.jpg

The bumblebee team.
DSC_0327.jpg

I've no idea who she is. But I'm glad I didn't get in her way.
DSC_0337.jpg

Can't be very aerodynamic.
DSC_0348.jpg

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Looking through the photos has reminded me of a few other memorable sights.

One lady pedalled round with her child in a baby seat on the handlebars. Another guy raced with a little dog on the rear carrier. (In neither case was the passenger doing any work).

There were numerous snappily-dressed individuals and people, notably the Stovepipe Hat Guys, the BumbleBees, the Racing Toffs (three ladies rigged out in grey top hats (modified to fit over their helmets, one suspects at considerable expense), morning coats and waitstcoats ("...the mark of a true gentleman is he has the bottom waistcoat button undone, dahhhling!"), complete with fishnet stockings and high heels, Psychadelic Suit Man, a team in white lab coats (rather disturbing when worn with shorts, as you couldn't see if they were wearing legwear at all), a team in kilts...

Lots of people pedalled round with bags on their bikes. One guy had his dynamo lights on all the way round.

One competitor had only one leg. I didn't see him competing, but as I drove in to Blenheim Palace, I passed a guy riding his Brommie in a suit jacket and shorts, complete with sock suspenders holding his socks up. A police officer in uniform was in my starting group. He wasn't allowed, he said, to wear his duty bands, rank and number tabs, but he did have his medal ribbons. Riders in outfits co-ordinating with the colours of their bikes were commonplace, particarly among women (who were in a substantial minority, sadly).

Just spotted this priceless picture:
DSC_0321.jpg

longers

Legendary Member
Well done all, good write ups and excellent photo's Uncle Phil - or more accurately Mrs Uncle Phil?

Nope, photos were mine (with ample help from Uncle Phil's nice camera!). First time I've had a chance to play with a nice digital SLR camera (hence the large number of pics :blush: )

Glad I got all the people I was supposed to be looking out for! I might even have one of RogerZilla accidentally - if he was wearing a white suit; things like that were easier to spot in the crowds....

The guy in the Psychadelic Suit won best dressed male, and there's a lady in a pink suit with a helmet that has pink and black chiffon (?) netting (?) stuck in it who won best dressed female.

Cranky

Thanks for taking all the photos, Savage, and Phil for posting them. It was great to meet you all.

I couldn't stay around long enough to see my time on the board so am hoping to find it posted on the website later on. I think it was about 30mins. I was in the last group to start but am glad to say I overtook lots of riders, especially on the uphill sections. My lowered 3-speed gearing meant that I couldn't really power downhill, apart from a couple of occasions when I span up to a ridiculous cadence to get past a few more!

Will, that's an amazing time you did! Thanks for setting up the team.

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
SavageHoutkop said:
Glad I got all the people I was supposed to be looking out for! I might even have one of RogerZilla accidentally - if he was wearing a white suit; things like that were easier to spot in the crowds....

Rogerzilla and Darryl, if you give me a clue what you were wearing/riding or any other distinguishing features, I'll have a look through Savage's pictures and see if you're in any of them.

Darryl

If I have done the technical bit correctly then this is me

View attachment 4435

and if Rogerzilla was wearing a blue and white helmet as well as a white suit then I think I have a pic of him just after the finish taken by my wife which he may not want published

Will1985

Über Member
Here's a picture I found on flickr by Larry Hickmott for British Cycling:
3982826417_ed55dc5fc1_b.jpg

This was at the beginning of my 2nd lap. Note the awful upright TT position caused by me not properly readjusting the setup following my 50 a fortnight ago.

The pics of me in the Brompton race on sportivephoto.com aren't as good as the ones Savage took!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Darryl said:
If I have done the technical bit correctly then this is me

View attachment 4435

and if Rogerzilla was wearing a blue and white helmet as well as a white suit then I think I have a pic of him just after the finish taken by my wife which he may not want published

Thankfully not - it was a silver helmet.

Search for 070 in the official photos. I actually look as if I'm leading in one of them ;)

http://www.philoconnor.com/

Darryl

Rogerzilla

Having checked your pics I can confirm that you are not the very tired person sitting on the floor in the finish area in our pics and, according to my wife, you are also not the teenager who was sick twice just after he finished.

Top Bottom