Anyone ever changed their mind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Some while back I criticised the looks of the Trek Domane ALR 5 Disc on here as being too bland and too black.

This was based on the side on pic's on eg Evans's website.

I have to eat humble pie and say that now I have seen it in the flesh it looks gorgeous. It has lots more red on it and the paintwork is deep glossy black - lovely.

Quite fancying this as a post-illness getting back on the bike treat.

Tried the Tiagra equipped ALR 4 Disc as my size in the 105 equipped ALR 5 Disc was not in stock and it is rather nice.

With 10% off it is available at £1440 (or 15% off if I bought it by today at the store I tried it!).

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...road/domane/domane-alr-5-disc/p/1407000-2017/

Anyway: have you changed your mind about a bike's appearance (either way) once you saw it in the flesh?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
About bikes?

All the time. In the time I have taken 'not' buying my next bike I have gone from loving aero frames to not even liking them. From adoring black to finding it "samey".

Always changing my mind, one of the reasons I take so long to choose a bike

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The last time I bought a bike new was in the mid eighties when I got a Mercian which i was very happy with.

Now I'm content' just to have 'a bike'. I think the research process is actually more rewarding than the actual purchase. Its always nice to be a armchair buyer. I constantly change my mind, not only the model/make but type.I have to consider the poor roads here.

I was lucky enough to pick up a 2/3 year old Specialized AWOL the other week which suits me fine and cost a fraction of its original £1000.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yes i had always ridden steel frames then last year i tried a couple of alloy framed bikes and couldnt really see what he excitement was all about so carried on with steel then had the chance to go full carbon 3 rides and i hated it for what ever reason a couple of months later i had another carbon chance so took that and i founf this better than the first one but still not fantastic so back to steel its real

Drago

Legendary Member
A pretty bike is, of course, lovely. However, its how it rides that's important to me, and so long as its not pink with pictures of Dane Abbot all over it I couldn't care less.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think there's a bit of 'King's new clothes' element about carbon bikes. I've never ridden one but I have an old Giant cfr which has carbon tubes and forks but ali lugs. It feels a bit 'dead' to ride. Like Martin I'll stick with steel, plus I've just bought another steel framed bike which has confirmed my view.

Drago's Pink with Diane Abbott pictures might be useful for far away trips to scare the local dog population.

Top Bottom