Anyone ever donate flesh to the Queen's Highway?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
oh yes, couple of biggies, and earlier this year three times in six weeks. First similar to yours PaulB, braking for a bend on a steep downhill the front locked, so backed off, tried again and down I went. Annoyingly the road surface looked fine, recent undamaged tarmac; it was just greasy on the bend. Broke dérailleur hanger and did a bodged single speed conversion. Rash on right hip and right elbow and shoulder.

Then a car turned into my path from the right, would have been fine going up the inside of him except he immediately turned left across me. It was wet and not too much damage but re-rashed my barely healed hip. It was a proper 'looked but failed to see', he claimed I'd undertaken a car that had flashed him, but I'd been in primary so he must have just not seen me.

The third time was overcooking it onto a roundabout with very gravelly outer lane, not quite making the corner (car overtaking just before had compromised my line but I was too fast anyway) and losing it on the gravel, smashing into the kerb. The scab from the not yet healed rash on my hip slid off under my shorts in one piece.

All healed now but right hip has big red scarred patch. Apparently the rule of thumb is you need medical attention if the third degree bit is bigger than a fifty pence piece. And the more pain you endure in scrubbing it the better. I used brulidine cream too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I borrowed an Iranian friend's racer back in 1977 when I was at Grenoble uni. (Iranians were there studying nuclear science - go figure!) Rode it up to a col outside the city then, like the previous poster, coming back down got crowded by a car on a bend and wandered onto the gravel. Crashed down on my side and slid over the edge, coming to rest in a sapling about 20 feet down a steep rocky slope. I remember hearing the whine of gears as the car reversed back up the hill then seeing two worried faces peering over the edge at me. Handed the bike up and declined their offer of a lift back to halls. Hip, shoulder and head bleeding a bit and the front wheel was out of true but otherwise I got off lightly.

I take some risks when out on my summer evening blasts with my cycling buddy and have given a few car drivers a fright but unscathed so far...

Nearly collided head-on with a "Brad" rider yesterday at the bottom of the hill that takes you from Dunsop Bridge over to Chipping; I had just made it down my favourite descent coming from Chipping against the flow of all the riders coming up and was swinging left at a junction where there's usually an ice-cream van parked; I was well out in the road for a good sightline round the hedge and he was on my side turning into the lane and looking away towards the bridge on his left..... ooops... we both locked up but managed to avoid each other.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Hip is very painful and the bruising coming out looks hideous so I went in for an x-ray. The triage nurse and doc both said I'd done the right thing as the amount of bruising indicated there could indeed have been a contained fracture but it turned out it was alright. Which was assuring. I know it'll take some time so I can't rotate my hip (cycling's out) and weight-bearing hurts which rules out past-times 2 and 3, running and climbing. The worst thing now is the extreme boredom. Anyone want a game of chess?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Hit some ice going downhill on way home from school when I was 9 and hit a broken brick in the gutter... made a right mess of my knee which I had to sort out myself as parents out at work til after 5. Have had a blood phobia since. Should have got stitches so took weeks to heal over properly.

Svendo

Guru
Hey PaulB, reading a write up in The Guardian and saw this comment. I'm guessing that may have been where you came down? Some consolation in that you seem to have been far from the only person to have a 'chute' there.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
No, Svendo, I survived that, actually reaching my highest speed of 46 MPH coming down there so VERY fortunate that's not where I came off. I was only going at 18 MPH (verified from my Garmin) and it was beyond Crook O' Lune between Caton and Quernmore where I hit the dirt. Literally!

Top Bottom