Anyone ever had sciatica?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
...or knows someone that has had it?

Someone I know has it bad, and is wondering what homeopathic remedies are available to help relieve the pain. I did an internet search but that's about all, and I have no idea if the medicines on offer are any good.

Can anyone suggest some homeopathic remedies?

Thanks

domtyler

Über Member
Are you sure that faith based 'medicine' is the right answer?

Surely a trip to the Doc would be of more use?

bobg

Über Member
Hi Maz, Yup I had it and I whimped out and gobbled up every damned painkiller I could lay my hands on . They said rest it but I believe the more modern approach would involve gentle movement - however I'm sure there's others on here better qualified to respond. Bloody hurts though -couldnt even get up the stairs to go to bed for 2 weeks and it took a couple of months before I was fully mobile again. If I'd thought of natural remedies I'd have gobbled them up too!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Maz said:
...or knows someone that has had it?

Someone I know has it bad, and is wondering what homeopathic remedies are available to help relieve the pain. I did an internet search but that's about all, and I have no idea if the medicines on offer are any good.

Thanks

Had it, hurt like hell, did painkillers, anti-inflams etc to no avail. Got on drop-barred race-bike...instantly cured. Never had since. I figured the bent double position and stretcing of the lower back freed the nerve. Since then I've always tried to do some severe stretching if I feel any twinge. As for homeopathy, can't say I'm a believer.
My MIL gets it real bad but she simply does not have the flexibility or strength to stretch her back and hamstrings.

domtyler

Über Member
bobg said:
If I'd thought of natural remedies I'd have gobbled them up too!!

Homeopathy is not a natural cure of anything, it is a faith based, crackpot, loony, snake oil scam to make money for charlatans.

Homeopathic 'remedies' have no active ingredients but rely on the spirit of an active molecule to have left an imprint on the water molecules contained in the homeopathic powder. It is sham quackery, a swindle with not one single piece of scientific evidence to support its efficacy. Just give the patient a sugar pill and that will do just as much good.

Noodley

Yep, had it a few times. Sore as <sweary words>. :blush:

I've had various success/failure with pills/snake oil/cycling. None are guaranteed, but all CAN work.

rikki

Legendary Member
Maz said:

No
I don't know about homeopathic remedies, and I'm very sceptical about anti-inflamatory drugs etc.

Has your friend seen a good physiotherapist? Someone who pushes and prods to find out what's wrong and then gives an exercise plan to overcome or compensate for the problem.

Apparently cleaning the bath or an exercise that mimics the action of cleaning the bath is very very good.

Ignore all this if they have already tried and given up on the normal doctors and physio treatments.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Should've said earlier that she's already been to the doc's, physio and acupuncture. Doc prescribed pain killers but are giving very little relief apparently, so she's willing to try alternative stuff to see if that works.
The docs won't recommend any of the 'alternative' stuff, presumably cos they dont know about or don't trust it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
rikki said:
No
I don't know about homeopathic remedies, and I'm very sceptical about anti-inflamatory drugs etc.

Has your friend seen a good physiotherapist? Someone who pushes and prods to find out what's wrong and then gives an exercise plan to overcome or compensate for the problem.

Apparently cleaning the bath or an exercise that mimics the action of cleaning the bath is very very good.

Ignore all this if they have already tried and given up on the normal doctors and physio treatments.

Am assuming that this is akin to the stretching I found helped me, standing straight legged, bending over hoping to free whatever is getting pinched?

Like the sig btw!

kyuss

Veteran
I've suffered with sciatica for the past two years. I had physio and acupuncture for about 9 months and eventually it eased off. Unfortunately it's now back with a vengeance. Could barely walk at all a month ago, let alone ride a bike, but now that I'm back cycling it's easing off slightly.

The thing with sciatica is that since it's a trapped nerve the only thing that will work will be manipulation of the area where the nerve is trapped, along with stretching and exercises. Medication will only help with the pain, and if the stuff your friend is getting from the doc isn't working then I doubt any alternative stuff will be any better. She should get back to the doc and ask about stronger stuff. I was initially only taking Diclofenac but have recently also been prescribed Tramadol and while I'm still in a lot of pain the two together have eased it enough to get me back on the bike.

Top Bottom