Anyone ever tried a bread MIX in a bread maker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
On impulse I bought a Chiabatta mix.
Instructions seem straight forward
ie 170g of mix
120ml water
1.5 tsp olive oil
3 hour bake setting.
Why am I not optomystic :wacko:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have, it came out fine. Sometimes I use the machine just to mix the dough, then finish it in the oven

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have, it came out fine. Sometimes I use the machine just to mix the dough, then finish it in the oven
EDIT:
The mix I used was a pack, ( 500g)
There’s several varieties, Tomato and Chilli is very good indeed, I’d sometimes add a palmful of dried mixed herbs to that particular mix and that worked really well.

T4tomo

Guru
best way to use a bread machine - the "bake" on them isn't great, but it takes the work and thought out of kneading etc.

catch it when its doing the knock back after the first prove, and tip it out into a tin for its 2nd prove phase and then pop it in the oven.

I just make bread from scratch when I I fancy doing it, its not tricky and there is plenty of guidance online

oldwheels

Legendary Member
best way to use a bread machine - the "bake" on them isn't great, but it takes the work and thought out of kneading etc.

catch it when its doing the knock back after the first prove, and tip it out into a tin for its 2nd prove phase and then pop it in the oven.

I just make bread from scratch when I I fancy doing it, its not tricky and there is plenty of guidance online
I do something similar but use a Kenwood [heavy duty one] for mixing and kneading.
There is one doing the first rise as I write this. Wet hands before tipping into bread tin is a useful tip.

T4tomo

Guru
I do something similar but use a Kenwood [heavy duty one] for mixing and kneading.
There is one doing the first rise as I write this. Wet hands before tipping into bread tin is a useful tip.
yes me too, the Kenwood with a dough hook (although mine is a Aldi £40 knock off) is much more versatile.
good tip - cheers

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Sorry I don't see the point of a bread mix, why pay someone to put the ingredients into a bag

Shelf life.
Convenience.

T4tomo

Guru
The yeast that comes in sachets within the box is good for occasional bread making, rather than the tins that once open are opened, although dried yeast will keep for a fair while in those tins anyway, if you are just doing "plain" breads as the mix is bread flour, yeast and salt. Take your point on flavoured / herby stuff / convenience and the ease of just add water. most of them arent much more expensive than flour anyway.

glad it turned out well.

Top Bottom