Anyone ever walked into a glass door (or similar)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just watching some video clips reminded me of 2 episodes.
1. I was entering a cake shop, clear glass door and I walked straight into it. Laid out in the street, Knocked myself out for a few moments
2. Was more recent. My garage doir is electric. I pressed the remote then picked my shopping out of the car and turned to carry it through the garage..... only the door had only opened part way. Bang!! Head first into the edge and I was laid out on the drive..... don't know howl long I was out for.

stephec

Legendary Member
Cheers Dave, I'll have the Benny Hill theme tune in my head all day now. 😂

Drago

Legendary Member
No, but I've seen it happen to folk once or twice. Unpleasant.

I once knocked myself out in the bathroom. Was brushing my teeth, fumbled the brush and dropped it on the floor. Without pausing to think I bent over to pick it up and faceplanted the edge ot the sink. Had two very nice black eyes from that.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
This is my son Bobbie, he’s walked into a glass door!
Could have been drinking.

IMG_9699.jpeg

I think most people have done something like that

It is really embarrassing when you do it strait into a glass door when there are loads of people around!

I remember doing it once with an automatic door - I was used to it and used it all the time. One day I just walked up to the shop and confidently just wlked up to the door and SMACK - right into it

It was VERY clearly labelled as not working but several large pieces of paper stuck on it with arrows saying to use the other door

Several people were around - of course

As far as comedy goes _ spent to summer working ona farm in Canada when I was 17/18 - the farm belonged to my friend's brother-in-law (who was MUCH older). It was only small and he needed a couple of lads to do some stuff like fixing fences that he could trust to just get on with the job without needing supervision.

Anyway - this year we were joined by his son - who lived with his Mum on the far side of teh country but his Mum was sick of him and his drug use and stuff
So he was living with his Dad for the sumemr holidays
NOT the brightest kid on Earth!

Anyway - we were going somewhere on the farm carrying some tools and stuff and he was carrying a ladder
My friend something on his right and he turned to answer
THUNK - the ladder hit the back of my head and I went down

I started to get up - my friend was laughing, we were boys if that wasn;t clear - and he turned to see what had happened
THUNK hit me again as I was half way up
down I went again

Up to now it was a bit funny
but the idiot managed to do it about 5 times without realising what was happening
eventually I stayed down (maybe should have done that before ) while my friend shouted PUT THE LADDER DOWN GENTLY!!!
until he worked it all out

No idea how that kid walked and talked at the same time - or how he could be the son of 2 intelligent people!!

vickster

Legendary Member
A friend of mine did as a child…almost bled to death and has a huge scar on her leg. If I recall, she was on holiday, had been running in and out all day, then someone close the door. :ohmy:
A long time ago in Slovakia, not safety glass.
Not advised or very funny!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
A friend of mine did as a child…almost bled to death and has a huge scar on her leg. If I recall, she was on holiday, had been running in and out all day, then someone close the door. :ohmy:
A long time ago in Slovakia, not safety glass.
Not advised or very funny!
:eek:

I do it rather a lot with shop windows. I know it's there but there's something about the display behind the glass that makes me think the glass is further away. Only certain shops but often do it to the same shop a few times. So I'm pretty certain the display position behind the glass fools me about where the glass is.

A distant relative as a kid ran through a glass sliding door on holiday. Broke straight through and her parent had to pick glass out of her clothes then rush her to hospital where they glued her back together.

The patio style sliding door was installed before the requirement for it to be toughened. They replaced with toughened glass doors obviously.

I think the girl was about 7yo at the time. Glued cuts produce scars that are less noticeable and disappear over time fortunately. I reckon it was like a horror movie with the blood. Poor girl.

What about snooker lights? I know someone who can't play snooker without hitting them. You see him with a bloody spot where the Hindu red dot would be on women after the game.

I once went to my local supermarket that was across it road from my road. I went there 40 minutes before closing and came out about 30 minutes before closing but the door guard had again lowered to door to his height, about 5'10" high. I'm well over 6 foot. Anyway, I paid by cash and thought I had been shortchanged. So I turned back to the checkout while checking my receipt. Realised they were right so turned back to carry on. Only to see the door last minute! I ducked but not far enough because it was lower than normal. I hit it square on the top of my head so hard I got a sprained neck muscle. Indeed I got whiplash type injury.

I told the store duty manager the next day and emailed the md or CEO email address. A few days later. Within the same day I got the area manager and the head store manager emailing me. In fact the store manager called me a couple of times asking me to come in and help fill out a H&S accident form. Apparently the guy had been warned too many times not to do it and they wanted my accident to be the grounds for sacking.

I got too busy so didn't go in but they then had to deal with it without my input. He was gone about 3 weeks later and the doors stayed fully up until the closing time for oh 2 weeks then they started to be lowered at 30 minutes before closure to just below my height. Nothing changed in the long term!

Windle

Über Member
On the subject of glass doors ~ back in 1991 I had just been made redundant (even as an apprentice) and was job hunting. I was finishing the Building Studies course that my previous employer had put me on at Darlington Tech, the long gone one on Cleveland Avenue, and was on the phone to a prospective employer in the foyer of the tech (no mobiles for us in them days). The foyer had two massive, heavy glass doors, with huge cast glass knobs, I'm talking dinner plate sized here. All of a sudden the door nearest to me just shattered with a massive bang, the heavy knob crashing to the floor. A proper WTF moment with people running about in panic. No idea what had happened, probably stress fatigue but it was certainly spectacular. All that remained was a sea of broken safety glass and a forlorn looking, chipped glass knob. Luckily no-one had been going through it at the time.

steverob

Guru
Apparently when I was two years old, I crashed through the lower glass pane of my house's front door (obviously I don't remember this!). Obviously it was in the days before double-glazing, toughened glass etc. but apparently I did not have a scratch on me somehow - just a small graze from where I'd scraped my arm falling on to the concrete on the other side.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A few times I must admit. A couple of times at a new home we moved into and was the first time having conservatory doors. Another time at a friends house. I was carrying a plate of dinner from the kitchen and walked straight into the glass door. Bloody dinner everywhere.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
once knocked myself out in the bathroom. Was brushing my teeth, fumbled the brush and dropped it on the floor. Without pausing to think I bent over to pick it up and faceplanted the edge ot the sink.

Done the same.
I don't think it's that uncommon.

Top Bottom