Anyone fancy a 6-8 week tour of Europe, summer 2019?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not a tour with me though - one with my super-fit friend Carrie! She asked if I knew anybody who might be up for it, and I told her I would ask here on CycleChat. She isn't really into the forum thing so I said I'd do some preliminary vetting for her, and pass on contact details of any volunteers.

Carrie set off on a similar tour in 2017 but was (literally) brought to a crashing halt by a serious accident on this stretch of railway line where it crossed a wet road in Switzerland ...

Lethal Swiss rail crossing.jpg

This was the outcome! :eek:

Shattered leg.jpg

Anyway, she is back to full fitness and has done some touring since, but she feels that she has unfinished business in Switzerland and wants to go back to that crossing to carry on with her original plan from the point where she fell off.

She is flexible on timing. She was thinking 6-8 weeks starting at the end of June, but could move that to later in the year to fit in with school holidays (whatever).

She wouldn't want to plan the tour to death. You would have an idea of where you'd be going and how you'd get there, but not have a rigid timetable to stick to.

Perhaps longer distances when weather and energy permitted, shorter if the weather turned evil or an easy day or two were needed.

Some days might be only 20-30 kms, but some would be 80+ and mountains would not be avoided! Her fitness is not a problem - she could definitely get over a couple of big Alpine mountains in a day with her bike laden with panniers, and I would suggest that you ought to be at least close to that level too to avoid frustration.

She is thinking of wild camping where you can, or on sites where you can't. This would be a low-budget trip.

You would be using bike-friendly roads wherever possible, or good quality cycleways. Perhaps some gentle off-road trails, but nothing that you couldn't comfortably do on a touring or cyclocross bike carrying heavy panniers.

Start in Switzerland, go to Germany and Austria for a tour round Lake Constance then head up the Danube. I think she was talking about Romania, then - I forget! Let's just say that it all sounds interesting ...

She has cycled with competitive men and isn't in a hurry to tour like that. 'Smiles, not miles' is what she told me. Enjoy the scenery, the cafes and the culture. I don't think clubbing is what she would be interested in.

I said that I'd see if there were any potential touring companions here on CycleChat. If I think you'd get on I will put you in touch with her.

Anybody interested ...? :whistle:

PS Oh - female OR male companions, but strictly separate tents!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sounds like a great tour in the making. I would need to be retired to go for that length of time.

albal

Guru
Also in the ‘love to but cant’ department.

Just a thought: How about putting feelers out at the upcoming CycleFest which is nearer to your part of the world?
Good call, I'll be up north for the festival, I am more than willing to discuss anything whilst there. End of may bank holiday .

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, she has taken early retirement so she has the time for long tours but has to keep spending under control. Fortunately, she really likes wild camping!

I'll have to ask her if she would be prepared to share the tour with 3 or 4 companions for 2 weeks each, since that would be a more practical proposition. The problem with that though, is that it would go against her concept of ultra-relaxed touring since she would have 2 or 3 rendezvous to make.

So, what is this Northern (England) CycleFest?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
She used Warmshowers on a trip to South Africa before Christmas. That worked pretty well so she'd probably do that again.

She is the opposite of me. I would want to know exactly where I was going, when, and where I was going to stay!

Hah! I’m like your friend. Even when I’ve toured with the kids I have let the wind blow us to where we ‘should’ go. We all make the world go round.

There was a time we ended up on a naturist site, but that’s a story for another time. And one my daughters won’t forget for lifetime.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I suppose one day I should try touring, but that control-freakery of mine gets in the way!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I suppose one day I should try touring, but that control-freakery of mine gets in the way!

I'd love to do weeks & weeks of touring, wild camping et all, but I'm more like you by the sounds of it. Longest tour I've done is 4 days, with overnight stops pre-booked at hotels. It works fine for me that way, although one day planned 100+ miles whilst doing the Coast & Castles route, which would have been fine, had it not been for a stupidly strong headwind :blush: But when your accommodation is booked & paid, you have no choice but to soldier on. Hope Carrie finds a good touring partner & has a more successful trip this time :okay:

User66445

Since she’s toured SA, why not branch out into other areas of the world? She has nothing to prove by following the same route again.

Not me, obviously, as companion. By no means a luxury cyclist, but if you don’t need to camp, why bother? All that weight and faffing around - might do it once or twice in Oz, but not in many other places:smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Since she’s toured SA, why not branch out into other areas of the world? She has nothing to prove by following the same route again.

Not me, obviously, as companion. By no means a luxury cyclist, but if you don’t need to camp, why bother? All that weight and faffing around - might do it once or twice in Oz, but not in many other places:smile:
She has been to New Zealand.

She wants to do the rest of the tour in Switzerland, Germany, Austria etc. because she had been looking forward to riding there before she broke her leg in 2017.

I wouldn't fancy carrying all that weight on the bike either, especially if I were her size (only about 50 kgs).

Just head off for a single day/night with no plan about where you will sleep. It will work out, something will present itself. Did you ever inter-rail? Same thing I think.

albal

Guru
Yes, she has taken early retirement so she has the time for long tours but has to keep spending under control. Fortunately, she really likes wild camping!

I'll have to ask her if she would be prepared to share the tour with 3 or 4 companions for 2 weeks each, since that would be a more practical proposition. The problem with that though, is that it would go against her concept of ultra-relaxed touring since she would have 2 or 3 rendezvous to make.

So, what is this Northern (England) CycleFest?

cycletouringfestival.co.uk

KWF

Regular
Hi Colin,
I am heading to Zurich and then starting at Andermatt for a 4 week ride following the Rhine from source to sea, finishing at Amsterdam. Happy to compare notes as i believe this is the wrong direction for Carrie.
Cheers Ken

Top Bottom