Anyone fancy a 6-8 week tour of Europe, summer 2019?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
Thanks for that (clickable link to it). Carrie has a friend who lives in Clitheroe, so it could be an ideal break for her to attend.
Great I usually arrive Fri afternoon a few days ride from the south coast . It's all about touring and they have a bar! (Sorry that's a plus from me only!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Great I usually arrive Fri afternoon a few days ride from the south coast . It's all about touring and they have a bar! (Sorry that's a plus from me only!)
If she goes along, she shouldn't be hard to spot (as long as you look down far enough!) - she is a tiny blonde.

Carrie Kevin et al.jpg

TigCshaff

Hi Colin and other cyclechatters,

Ive read with interest your plans to cycle the Rhine this Summer.
After many months of research Ive
come to the conclusion that flying to Zurich and renting bikes from the station is easiest option. Prices right now to fly are so much cheaper than Eurostar, and to transport our bikes to Basel by train will be only slightly cheaper than renting.
Im planning to take my teenage daughter in the Summer hols, and as it's the first touring trip, ive decided Andermatt (Olberalppass) to Basel in 9 days, and get flight back to UK from Basel. If successful will return to finish the Rhine, maybe next year.
Ive got useful info from Cicerone rhine cycle book, and have planned route from this. Im not sure on best distance to cycle daily. When we cycled the Thames- 20 miles one day and 26.5 miles the next, we were kicking our heels to pass time, and could have easily cycled more. Suggested distances from Cicerone are:
Day 1- 52km, Day 2 - 35 km, Day 3 - 48 km, Day 4 - 54 km, Day 5 - 57 km, Day 6 - 48 km, Day 7 - 60.5 km, Day 8 - 67 km.
This means about 30-35 miles a day, but as its a huge descent from Olberalppass, i reckoned we could do a 40 mile cycle, add on a few more miles each day to give ourselves a rest day on day 7. We're both fit, but I do have issues with recovery from exercise, so dont want to over challenge ourselves.

Like yourself, we shall be staying in accommodation-possibly B&B, booked in advance, so need to plan distance beforehand.
Not too clear on booking train from Zurich to Andermatt with bikes. Seems no prebooking needed but with bikes need to book day before or chance it that there are spaces.
Station, have said country bikes ideal to cycle the Rhine, and we can use our own saddles. May get gel covers- ive experienced hire bikes before-boy was it uncomfortable.

Brains

Legendary Member
Books for cycling the Rhine

I would strongly suggest the BikeLine set of books, we dumped the Cicerone one after a couple of days
https://www.esterbauer.com/db_detail.php?buecher_code=RHE1

Even if you can only get the German language set, it's the maps and the index of accommodation and things to see that you need.
If you want the history get a guide book of read the cicerone version.

As for getting to the start i'd recommend European Bike Express
The pick up you and your bike all over the UK and drop off all over France and surrounding areas - several different routes
http://www.bike-express.co.uk/Tour/Med_C_To_UK_One_Way_Only/PickupPoints
There have a number of routes through France that run close to Switzerland.
Basically you want to get to a place that will put you on the rail system, and do the final bit by train to the start

TigCshaff

Hi Brains, Ill check out the BikeLine books, as ill be needing a map too, although was impressed with bike route app, and believe you can purchase this for Eurovelo routes. Found it easier to follow than looking at a map whilst cycling. Want a paper version as back up though.
Looked at bike express site, and will certainly consider if our hire bikes dont work out- cost seems similar to flight and hire. Hoping to head off on 29th July, so dates this time dont work with bike express. Will possibly continue Rhine from Basel to Hook of Holland next Summer, so good site for then.
Sticking close to recommendations of Cicerone and have booked accommodation YH and b&b booking.com

Brains

Legendary Member
Hi Brains, Ill check out the BikeLine books, as ill be needing a map too, although was impressed with bike route app, and believe you can purchase this for Eurovelo routes. Found it easier to follow than looking at a map whilst cycling. Want a paper version as back up though.
Looked at bike express site, and will certainly consider if our hire bikes dont work out- cost seems similar to flight and hire. Hoping to head off on 29th July, so dates this time dont work with bike express. Will possibly continue Rhine from Basel to Hook of Holland next Summer, so good site for then.
Sticking close to recommendations of Cicerone and have booked accommodation YH and b&b booking.com

Paper maps show you where you are going.
Electronic maps show you where you are.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Paper maps show you where you are going.
Electronic maps show you where you are.
To an extent that is true - I was trying to make sense of the map on my phone when I was tired on Saturday and it was hard work on the small screen.

I rarely use my paper maps indoors these days though. All of my new routes are plotted on my laptop.

Top Bottom