Anyone fancy a forum ride, Forest of Bowland, Sun 20th July or Sun 17th August?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi all.

Over the past couple of years, I organised a few rides in West Yorkshire and Lancashire for members of the C+ forum. I met some friendly people and we had some good days out on our bikes. It's about a year since my last forum ride, so it's time to arrange another one. The C+ forum is no more so I'm posting this on CycleChat and on BikeRadar since the old C+ crowd seem to be spread over both forums (fora).

So... after negotiation with various people over the date, I've decided on Sunday July 20th. I know that it clashes with the Legbreaker Challenge and the Roses Round, but it's impossible to find a date that suits everybody. [PS There will now be a rerun of the ride on Sun 17th August for those who can't make the July date]

Most of my routes have been based in West Yorkshire because that's where I live. I thought it would make a change to do one in Lancashire and since I'm fond of the Forest of Bowland, I've come up with a nice loop out there. I hope that I can tempt a few of you to join me :angry:?

Start: Sunday July 20th, 10:00 am at Spring Wood picnic site, Whalley. Car parking, toilets and (usually) an ice cream van there.

The route passes through Whalley, Billington, Ribchester, and Hurst Green. It then climbs Longridge Fell and Beacon Fell. We continue to skirt clockwise round the big hills to our right, through Oakenclough and eventually climb the lovely Trough of Bowland from the 'easier' side. After the Trough, we pass through Dunsop Bridge and on to Newton. A right turn there takes us up the biggest climb of the day - Waddington Fell. After a quick descent we arrive at the village of Waddington where there is a good cyclists' cafe. From Waddington we bypass Clitheroe and pass through Great Mitton on our way back to Whalley. If we didn't make a stop at the cafe at Waddington, there is a nice one at Whalley Abbey. From Whalley, it is a short climb back up to the picnic centre.

The route is about 90 km (56 miles) in length and there is about 1,500 m (5,000 ft) of climbing, some of it fairly steep. I think it is fair to say that you'd have to be reasonably fit to enjoy this route, so it probably wouldn't suit a complete novice, however it is intended to be a social ride so we will probably take about 5 hrs 30 mins - 6 hrs including time for stops. Those who want to can attack the hills as long as they wait at the summits - I will plod up them at my own pace ;)!

Map of route

bowland_loop_route.jpg

Profile of route

bowland_loop_profile.jpg

PS I will be riding to the start and back again so if anybody fancies doing more than just the Bowland loop, you could join me for the extra bits between Mytholmroyd and Whalley which would add about 73 km (45 miles) to the distance and potentially quite a bit of extra climbing if we fancied it on the day.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

[I'll maintain the latest information on the ride here in this post]

Those who did the 20th July ride:
  • ColinJ
  • longers
  • Alun
  • Frustruck
  • andy_wrx

The rerun for those who didn't make the July ride:

Yes please (17th August):
  • ColinJ
  • nasahapley (BikeRadar)
  • ASC1951
  • andyfromotley
  • davelakers (BikeRadar)
  • Blonde
  • (a)mrushton
  • Dan777 (BikeRadar)
Maybe (17th August):
  • Popette (BikeRadar)
  • dan_bo

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Looks like a good route Colin - I've done a couple of rides around there, and heartily recommend anyone else to sign up! I on the other hand will be slumming it in Barcelona that weekend, so you'll have to excuse me. Hope it all goes well!

one of my favourite rides with bits added on. i'd never thought of getting to the trough over longridge fell. good to see you're taking the easy way up the fell and not going up kemple end/birdie brow!
if i can make it i'll be there.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

andyfromotley said:
:sad:COL!!!!!! You chose the day i go on holiday!!:biggrin:
Oh no - I've already changed the date about 3 times before deciding on that one because of mine and other peoples' holidays and the Ryedale Rumble which takes place the following weekend! Sorry Andy :biggrin:. I'm hoping to do the route of the Spring Into the Dales event some time in the next few weeks if you fancy coming along for that? I signed up for it as usual this year but was put off doing it by poor fitness and bad weather.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

piedwagtail91 said:
one of my favourite rides with bits added on. i'd never thought of getting to the trough over longridge fell. good to see you're taking the easy way up the fell and not going up kemple end/birdie brow!
if i can make it i'll be there.
I don't think I've ever gone up the Kemple End way but it looks harder than my route. The real killer would be to go up the way we are going down - Jeffrey Hill!

ColinJ said:
I don't think I've ever gone up the Kemple End way but it looks harder than my route. The real killer would be to go up the way we are going down - Jeffrey Hill!

my son is keen to have a ride up jeffrey hill, i've been up once so know differently!

mondobongo

Über Member
Nice timing for me Colin its a week before my club do a very hilly sportive, stick me on the list please.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

mondobongo said:
Nice timing for me Colin its a week before my club do a very hilly sportive, stick me on the list please.
Blimey, I thought I was the only insomniac viewing the forum in bed last thing - okay ;).

Laptop shutting down now - goodnight all!

ASC1951

Guru
I'm a no-show I'm afraid, Colin. I'll be struggling my way up my first Alp of the holiday that morning.

I'll have to try again next year. ;)

trio25

Über Member
I can't make it which is a shame as it looks like a fab route, but I'll be riding the legbreaker that day.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

ASC1951 said:
I'm a no-show I'm afraid, Colin. I'll be struggling my way up my first Alp of the holiday that morning.

I'll have to try again next year. :thumbsdown:
Pity about that, but as I mentioned above - it's such a busy time of year for holidays and events that it is impossible to find a date which suits everybody. Enjoy the Alps!

I tell you what... I really like this FoB route so I'll ride it again on August 17th for those who can't make the July date, how about that ;)?

Top Bottom