Anyone fancy a game of conkers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Southwick, Near Oundle.. ~ World Conker Championships ~ If anyone is wants to enter! 😎

Can we play online?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
We played it at school in the '90s' with quite a bit of enthusiasm, but by age 11/12, it was starting to fizzle out. I can, however say that I won the very last game ever played in our school year. It was Primary 7. Nobody (or at least I never saw anyone) ever played it again. 😎

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Where I live we used horsechestnuts for our Canadian version of conkers. One kid would climb up into the tree and toss the silly spiked things down at the others trying for blood with every shot. We kids down below would chuck them back up at him… also going for blood.

There were more of us on the ground but the kid in the tree had a better ammunition supply and we couldn’t see him very well in amongst the leaves.

This would go on until somebody’s parents caught us or until somebody was bleeding badly enough to call a halt to the action.

The game was played by kids too young to drink… or perhaps we’re old enough and had taken rather too much drink.

As I remember a direct hit caused quite a welt and hurt like hell

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0110.jpeg

.. then we grew up and went hunting seals with clubs…

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I remember the old tales about soaking conkers in vinegar and other stuff, to make them 'rock hard', but since doing the picking up and keeping conkers in the local park and cemetery, not much point in doing it thing over the last few years. I've found that they go wrinkled and 'rock hard' if you just leave then to dry out over a few years.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
.. then we grew up and went hunting seals with clubs…
barbaric daffodil

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I had five in my porch, four of which were still in their shells, up to last Sunday. Then our granddaughter for whom they had been collected, came for her birthday party. But she enjoys opening the shells and keeping the conkers.

Top Bottom