Anyone Following The Sky Dive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
What exactly do you mean by 'experienced'? We get a lot of French military aircraft practising locally in the Limousin. Shortly before France announced involvement in Libya we were shaken by an almighty bang, a real thunderclap, and I spotted this aircraft going like the proverbial bat. Obviously the culprit. My understanding is that the pilot would not have endured the noise having left it far behind the aircraft. Nevertheless I don't see that the noise itself was dangerous.

As far as I am aware, pilots are not allowed to go supersonic over UK landspace so yes, it would be a very rare experience and I hope they don't make a habit of it in France!
There have been a couple of instances recently when RAF planes have gone supersonic over land due to an "emergency" and from the ground you get this huge double boom which can be felt as much as heard.

I'm sure you are correct that the pilots don't experience anything and I'm sure that Baumgartner didn't either. What I was getting at is that the journalist's claim that a sonic boom is just a doubling of the ordinary noise is a somewhat inaccurate description.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Pity he hadn't taken some experiments up there with him as MDB suggested.... a hundred paper aeroplanes and hitting some numbered golf balls with a five iron could have woken people up wherever they landed...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 2131527, member: 45"]Or, it was so simple that they've now got to make it look not so.[/quote]
Well, I certainly wouldn't fancied being squeezed by a pressure suit for over 2 hours before leaping out of a balloon on the fringes of space with my visor freezing up, and the possibility of being spun into a potentially lethal blackout. You are probably made of sterner stuff than me! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom