Anyone Following The Sky Dive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I found it odd that Felix made such a deal about asking for wind direction when he was under his parachute.....

Any reasonably experienced skydiver automatically checks for drift by flying a box shape circuit to identify wind direction.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I found it odd that Felix made such a deal about asking for wind direction when he was under his parachute.....

Any reasonably experienced skydiver automatically checks for drift by flying a box shape circuit to identify wind direction.

Maybe he was just struggling for something to say and felt he ought to say something!

ASC1951

Guru
What is it with those pig-ignorant Arts graduates at the Beeb? On the early morning news on Radio 4 yesterday they solemnly reported that his epic jump had been "from a hot air balloon" - at 127,000 feet and almost zero Bar, FFS!
It had been corrected by 08.00 so presumably they had checked with a ten year old.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 2100603, member: 45"]Why did he go to all that trouble of getting that high if he was only going to come straight down again?[/quote]

I know, I mean, I bet throwing a few paper aeroplanes out of the door of the capsule before he jumped just to see what they did would have been kind of cool! :laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Actually, if you threw a paper aeroplane in space, I am presuming that the lack of friction would make it go for ages, but how long could it go for?

I know they played Golf on the Moon, so I assume there must be some sort of data on the subject? :laugh:

asterix

Comrade Member
[QUOTE 2100603, member: 45"]Why did he go to all that trouble of getting that high if he was only going to come straight down again?[/quote]

What people don't realise is that this stunt was partly funded by budget airlines. Following its success the introduction of even cheaper flights will be made discharging passengers without actually landing and incurring airport fees. Parachutes will cost extra and if you are lucky your luggage will land in the same place and ideally before you do.

asterix

Comrade Member
I like budget airlines. I particularly like being subsidised by people paying the Priority Boarding Vanity Tax and the Sitting Next To Strangers Intolerance Tax.

Yes me too. It's a shame: I could land anywhere when they drop me off over Bellegarde.

Anyway, in fact it was all mostly a pr stunt for a certain energy drink.

1. The fake mission control
Part of the appeal of the live show - watched by a record eight million people, apparently - was the sight of clever-looking people being pictured back in some sort of office, orchestrating every move. But they were doing no such thing, of course.
NASA's space shuttles needed mission controls with everyone shouting at each other via their headsets because they were dealing with a machine containing 2.5 million moving parts (that's a fact, incidentally, not a far-fetched guesstimate to make a point).
By contrast, Baumgartner used a balloon to ascend, and a parachute to descend. The most complicated pieces of kit he used, by far, were the cameras used to relay the pictures back to earth.
2. The dubious danger of the suit ripping
We'll admit, we were initially sucked in by fabulous stories of what would happen if things went wrong with Baumgartner's suit. "His blood will vaporise instantly if the suit rips!" we repeated to each other. But it didn't. Of course it didn't, and it never would have. Hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent designing, testing, building in triple-engineered safeguards and re-checking things time and again to make sure that it would not rip. This wasn't Graeme Obree making an Olympics-winning bike in his garage, it was the finest high-tech engineering from across the world brought together.
Consider this: the previous holder of the skydive height record, Captain Joe Kittinger of the US Air Force, jumped from 108,000 feet (compared to Baumgartner's 128,000 feet) in 1960 in a suit that was literally held together with duct tape. Now THAT suit could have ripped; Baumgartner's, not so much.
3. The pretend danger of breaking the sound barrier
Ever since Chuck Yeager broke the technical and psychological barrier of surpassing the speed of sound over 60 years ago, there has been little mystery about doing so - indeed, even commercial airline passengers used to do so regularly on Concorde. The very words "sonic boom" suggest some sort of explosion to be endured at the magical speed; but that does not happen. An object travelling faster than sound is merely one going very fast indeed - the boom is just an effective doubling of the vehicle's normal sound level when the sound waves lap into each other. It's noisy, sure, but it ain't dangerous.
4. The strange idea that a spin would have been fatal
"It was like hell," Baumgartner said of the spin which began shortly after his jump. "I thought for a few seconds I'd lost consciousness." Leaving aside the inherent contradiction in that statement, let's have a look at what would have happened if the worst had happened and the flat spin had continued. Again, Kittinger's antics over half a century ago show the way: during his first edge-of-the-atmosphere jump he leapt from 76,400 feet, went into a spin, fell unconscious... and was saved by an automatic-opening mechanism fitted to his parachute. You can be pretty sure that if they had one of those in 1959 they had one last Sunday.
5. The suspicious amount of free advertising Red Bull have gotten out of it
When you see a story like Baumgartner's jump all round the world, all at once, it means one thing: a colossal public relations effort behind the scenes. Millions of dollars were poured into the skydive in an effort to make it seem at once hare-brained and colossally dangerous - the former being a complete fallacy and the latter massively exaggerated.
The pay-off, however, is genuinely incalculable. Buying out the front page of almost every newspaper and website in the world, getting into the opening credits of every TV and online news programme, and generating thousands of pages of subsequent follow-up stories, Tweets, conversations around the watercooler and 10 pages of debate on the famous Cycle Chat forum is PR that money simply could not buy.
It's genuinely impossible to put a price on such coverage; but if the $30 million guesstimate of the overall project costs is accurate, Red Bull have gotten themselves the greatest bargain in the history of advertising.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Okay, they may have a point about going supersonic not being the danger the press made out, but this:
The very words "sonic boom" suggest some sort of explosion to be endured at the magical speed; but that does not happen. An object travelling faster than sound is merely one going very fast indeed - the boom is just an effective doubling of the vehicle's normal sound level when the sound waves lap into each other.
was written by someone who has clearly never experienced a sonic boom.

davefb

Guru

they kept telling him it wrong as well..

but you know, he may have been a bit disourientated after the jump ? hell of a landing though.. the show off !

asterix

Comrade Member
Okay, they may have a point about going supersonic not being the danger the press made out, but this: was written by someone who has clearly never experienced a sonic boom.

What exactly do you mean by 'experienced'? We get a lot of French military aircraft practising locally in the Limousin. Shortly before France announced involvement in Libya we were shaken by an almighty bang, a real thunderclap, and I spotted this aircraft going like the proverbial bat. Obviously the culprit. My understanding is that the pilot would not have endured the noise having left it far behind the aircraft. Nevertheless I don't see that the noise itself was dangerous.

As far as I am aware, pilots are not allowed to go supersonic over UK landspace so yes, it would be a very rare experience and I hope they don't make a habit of it in France!

Top Bottom