Anyone from Birmingham know of any good places to cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom_89

Hello I've bought a new bike for use at the weekend. I live near Birmingham city centre I am wondering if there is any good bike trails that someone could recommend. I'm not after anything to adventurous and I wouldn't mind traveling 10+ miles to get there. I just want somewhere where there's trees and no cars lol.

RMurphy195

Not sure exactly where you are located Tom, but I live in Rednal, and here's my tuppence worth.

I use the route into town a lot via Longbridge, Northfield, Kings Norton and onto the canal through Selly Oak and into town. Where as you know there's lots of caffs, and access to the canal network out to Wolverhampton or across to Small Heath and beyond. The reverse direction of course takes you out to the Lickeys. For a short trip while you get used to cycling, you could do worse than take the canal out to Bournville Station, divert off it to one of the caffs on the Pershore Road and then return the way you came. Big plus is if you are tired there are frequent trains and you can just pop the bike on to go back. Even better if you are an old fogey like me, and have the free bus pass!

I also divert off the route sometimes along the Rea Valley route through the back of Selly Park (parallel to the Pershore Road), and through Cannon Hill park where there are 2 places for a cuppa, one of which is the Mac. Don't like the road route much though around the back of the cricket ground and through the red light district, and especially not the contraflow cycle lane back down Hurst Street.

If you have a car then a trip out to Earlswood will reveal some pleasant cycling, and also lots of cyclists! Mainly 'cos its nice and flat out there. A trin will get you there as well. And there's plenty of refreshment stops - Manor Farm do a cyclists breakfast!

Another option is the train to Sutton, the station there is close to Sutton Park, a great place to find you feet on a bike (or find your pedals for that matter!)

I've even taken the train out to Hednesford, then cycled over to the heritage trail on Cannock Chase. Or again, if you have a car park at one of the visitor centres - Birches Valley (Near Slitting Mill) is one of my favourites, you get access there to trails that are as easy or as challenging as you like.

There's a leaflet you can get - try this link - I haven't got a copy but I'm sure it has loads of ideas. http://www.birminghamcyclinggreenways.co.uk/

If you do fancy a group ride it may be worth looking at what PushBikes or other groups have to offer http://www.pushbikes.org.uk/ - assuming Pushbikes still do family rides. Or a local CTC group maybe.

I could go on, but I won't!

Have fun - Richard

jamin100

Guru
Travel down the Hagley road into Halesowen, from there you are on the outskirts of he country side and there are ample routes though clent hills, Hagley, and can go out to stourport, bewdley etc

OP
OP
T

Tom_89

Not sure exactly where you are located Tom, but I live in Rednal, and here's my tuppence worth.

I use the route into town a lot via Longbridge, Northfield, Kings Norton and onto the canal through Selly Oak and into town. Where as you know there's lots of caffs, and access to the canal network out to Wolverhampton or across to Small Heath and beyond. The reverse direction of course takes you out to the Lickeys. For a short trip while you get used to cycling, you could do worse than take the canal out to Bournville Station, divert off it to one of the caffs on the Pershore Road and then return the way you came. Big plus is if you are tired there are frequent trains and you can just pop the bike on to go back. Even better if you are an old fogey like me, and have the free bus pass!

I also divert off the route sometimes along the Rea Valley route through the back of Selly Park (parallel to the Pershore Road), and through Cannon Hill park where there are 2 places for a cuppa, one of which is the Mac. Don't like the road route much though around the back of the cricket ground and through the red light district, and especially not the contraflow cycle lane back down Hurst Street.

If you have a car then a trip out to Earlswood will reveal some pleasant cycling, and also lots of cyclists! Mainly 'cos its nice and flat out there. A trin will get you there as well. And there's plenty of refreshment stops - Manor Farm do a cyclists breakfast!

Another option is the train to Sutton, the station there is close to Sutton Park, a great place to find you feet on a bike (or find your pedals for that matter!)

I've even taken the train out to Hednesford, then cycled over to the heritage trail on Cannock Chase. Or again, if you have a car park at one of the visitor centres - Birches Valley (Near Slitting Mill) is one of my favourites, you get access there to trails that are as easy or as challenging as you like.

There's a leaflet you can get - try this link - I haven't got a copy but I'm sure it has loads of ideas. http://www.birminghamcyclinggreenways.co.uk/

If you do fancy a group ride it may be worth looking at what PushBikes or other groups have to offer http://www.pushbikes.org.uk/ - assuming Pushbikes still do family rides. Or a local CTC group maybe.

Have fun - Richard
Thanks was very helpfull

OP
OP
T

Tom_89

Have fun - Richard
I've decided to go to Sutton park sounds exactly what I'm after thanks again

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
When I was in Birmingham for work I took my Brompton with me and rode from the city centre to Bourneville on the canal path that @RMurphy195 describes. It looked like there were miles of canal path to explore. Only downside was - the bit I rode anyway - most of the exits from the path were up stairs rather than bike-friendly ramps.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel

A mate of mine lives in Rednal too. We went along to try out the Sky Ride in the city centre a couple of years back, which was a total waste of time (seemed aimed at kids), although Canon Hill Park was OK...... But we got there by that route along the canal from Bourneville to Brindley Place, and I absolutely loved it.
25 Canalside, Birmingham.jpg

I was born in the QE2 Hospital, and went to Birmingham University, so I particularly enjoyed the elevated bit that runs between the two.
23 Birmingham.jpg

Sounds like a good idea about hopping on and off trains on the cross city route too, though I also noticed that many of the stations have big flights of steps.

machew

Veteran
One that is nice for a Saturday morning is NC5 from town to the Waseley Hill for a bacon butty and then back

RMurphy195

One that is nice for a Saturday morning is NC5 from town to the Waseley Hill for a bacon butty and then back

This is I think in the old barn where Norman Wisdom starred in a short sketch to raise money for Macmillan, when he was only with us for a few minutes at a time, Priceless. And another one of our favourite tea stops when out walking from home, or if I cycle over towards Belbroughton etc.

Tom - I forgot to mention that Bourneville Station is a short ride, or stroll if you prefer, to Bourneville Village green where you can get a nice cuppa, and maybe even be serenaded by the Carrillon bells across the road!

Top Bottom