*Anyone from SW London/ Surrey*. Would you say it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wally

Über Member
was safe to cycle down the A3? Been cycling for a while now and want to get some longer rides under my belt, but only cycled London streets so far. Cheers.

PK99

Legendary Member
Wally said:
was safe to cycle down the A3? Been cycling for a while now and want to get some longer rides under my belt, but only cycled London streets so far. Cheers.

No!

The A3 from Robin Hood onwards is a motorway equivalent death-trap for cyclists.

There are lots of other routes out on more sensible roads!

mistral

Guru
Can't think of any reason to, A3 even v early on Saturday/Sunday traffic if not busy is much too fast to be safe

Where do you want to get to, let me know where you're starting from and I'll give you some ideas if you want?

OP
OP
W

Wally

Über Member
Thanks both. Nowhere in particular mistral. Just starting out from Wandsworth area and wanted to get a long uninterrupted run, get some miles in my legs. Be grateful for your ideas.

Norm

Wally said:
Just starting out from Wandsworth area and wanted to get a long uninterrupted run
Would it be wrong to suggest Southern or South West Trains to get you outside the M25?

Or head out through Kingston and pick up the A307 or A308. The A3 would certainly give you uninterrupted if that was your main criteria but I'd be very wary of it. As posted, it is pretty much a motorway without the hard shoulder once you get past Kingston Vale / Robin Hood.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Personally, I wouldn't dream of cycling on the A3. As people have said, it is a fast road. Even worse is that the lanes are very narrow, so you will probably get some close passes.

Bill Gates

I used to do interval training along the A3 from the Esher turn off to Cobham turn off both when I started racing many years ago; before the M25 was open at Wisley; and after and then when I lived in Ewell about 4 years ago starting on my come back trail.

Not too bad outside of rush hour times, but the odd lorry or two will toot their horns with annoyance as they have to go into middle lane to pass. Not suitable for bikes to be honest-best avoiding.

Used to be a good 10 mile TT course along that stretch before the M25 opened.

Bill Gates

Wally said:
Thanks both. Nowhere in particular mistral. Just starting out from Wandsworth area and wanted to get a long uninterrupted run, get some miles in my legs. Be grateful for your ideas.

One way would be to go Putney/Mortlake/Barnes to A316 then Richmond Twickenham to Sunbury On Thames then Shepperton out to Chertsey and beyond to Chobham.

mistral said:
Couple of routes here

First will take you into Windsor Park, not too hilly and the second to Box Hill - quite hilly!

All the best

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=27573

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=27575

A couple of nice routes there. If you don't fancy the ride out of town then get to Clapham Junction, put the bike on the train and head south. You could then aim to follow some of the routes that Evan's have put together for their ride it series.
http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/dorking-north-downs-december-5th-6th-2009#event_map_gps

Typo

As others have said - NO! I've lived within a few hundred yards of the A3 for 20-odd years & use it regularly, in a car or on my motorbike only! In all that time I've seen perhaps a dozen cyclists using it, & that's the trouble. It's a fast road & no-one expects to see a cyclist. SMIDSY waiting to happen. :laugh:

Top Bottom