Anyone got a Brooks B17 saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
El bump?

I have an 'old school' Professional saddle that used to belong to my Dad...(no use whatsoever, as it is a bit narrower than a B17 (but wider than a Swift).
Approximately,
Rails internal = 38.46mm
Rails external = 52.03mm
Rail width = 6.75mm

6.75 x 2 = 13.50

13.50 + 38.46 = 51.96mm ergo that's about the space between the rails O to O 38.46 + 6.75 = 45.21mm + C to C (approximately!):biggrin:

I read somewhere that the standard rail separation is 45 mm (except for some very thin professional racing saddles which are 30mm) and the Brooks B17 won't be far out.

I have never had a problem with fitting these saddles across a range of bikes.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Got it.

It fitted ok, and now begins the process of imprinting my sit bones onto it.

Must say, first impressions are good. 2.5 miles, normal shorts (no padding) and feels ok.

Might need to adjust it forwards a bit as I keep having to 'sit back' to get my sit bones on the wide bit where they should be - maybe also need to tilt it back a fraction?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
ComedyPilot said:
Got it.

It fitted ok, and now begins the process of imprinting my sit bones onto it.

Must say, first impressions are good. 2.5 miles, normal shorts (no padding) and feels ok.

Might need to adjust it forwards a bit as I keep having to 'sit back' to get my sit bones on the wide bit where they should be - maybe also need to tilt it back a fraction?
Yes, it is widely accepted that, until you have the saddle fitting properlyperfectly, it is worth tilting it back slightly - so you don't slip forward too much :wacko:.

Mine was very comfy from the start too - and got better after a couple of very wet rides, when the saddle couldn't help but get thoroughly soaked :rolleyes:. Fits like a .... well, like a pair of shorts, I guess :rolleyes:

yashicamat

Keep a good quality plastic bag tied up with an elastic band stuffed under the Brookes so you can cover it if the weather turns rainy. Water doesn't do them any good, although the previous poster seems to have got away with it . . .

A tin of proofide will last years and years and is a worthwhile extra to keep the saddle in good condition. 500 miles on mine now and it's fine, although it needs adjusting slightly (after I adjusted it a bit to try and reduce . . ahem . . injuries over potholes) and hasn't been quite right since.:biggrin:

ACS

Legendary Member
Got a b17 standard, now looking for a b17 narrow.

Got the my first b17 for 2 reasons, firstly I could not find a modern saddle that was comfortable, secondly I had one on the bike my dad got for so I could get back and forward to my first job. Bit of a frankenstein of a bike, fixie, with rod brakes with a frame welded from bit of dockyard cranes.

Top Bottom