Anyone got a Specialized Langster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit I'm always disappointed when I see someone riding a bike and it turns out to be singlespeed and not fixed.

Jezston

Über Member
What are the advantages of riding fixed over free, then? Whenever I ask people I meet who ride fixed they usually awkwardly come out with some stuff about having greater feel for the road, being at one with the bike or suchlike which I generally don't feel terribly convinced by.

Jezston said:
What are the advantages of riding fixed over free, then? Whenever I ask people I meet who ride fixed they usually awkwardly come out with some stuff about having greater feel for the road, being at one with the bike or suchlike which I generally don't feel terribly convinced by.

It is easier to do trackstands.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It was obviously meant to be a bit of fun so there was no need to start getting all cyclier than thou.

Edited for clarity - cyclier than thou comment not aimed at Dayvo, who is a thoroughly good egg.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jezston said:

Perhaps the magic is not for you?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
Perhaps the magic is not for you?
The Force through the fixie, will flow.
Be at one with the road, you must.
yoda.jpg

Is the Langster steel now? I had the 2007 version with a VERY stiff alu frame. SPD's plus very little transmission loss meant rapid acceleration.

It was a beautiful little thing to blast around central Manchester with.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
So what it is then, know or think because you have managed to contradict yourself and come over all paradoxial.

People keep confusing free wheel with ss.

Single speed is as it says - single speed, i.e only one gear.

Saying ''Run it single speed'' is stating the obvious, what else am I going to do? Weld on a mech hanger, fit a rear block and rear mech?:biggrin:
Hub gear?
Not saying that you'd want to.
User3143 said:
To Jezston, people prefer fixed because it's easier going up hills

Unless it's a bloody great steep one.

User3143 said:
as there are no dead points, the bike carries itself through the momentum of being a fixed gear and as Catrike says it's easier to do trackstands.

I've got a 2007 'poo-coloured' (Rust if you must) Langster that I bought off eBay. It's a great bike for fitness rides around Romney Marsh but I wouldn't want to attempt Lympne Hill on it! I ride it freewheel most of the time because I just prefer that to fixed. It is pretty much stock apart from RaceBlade mudguards which where fitted when I bought it. Recommended if your commute has nothing more than gentle inclines, but for me that would apply to any singlespeed bike with my standard Langster gear ratio.

Jezston

Über Member
Just bumping to say I saw a chap arrive at Derby train station this morning about 8:10am on an older looking Langster - absolutely lovely it was, white with olympic coloured stripes, and he'd put a red chain on it. If it was you - thumbs up! Also, give me your bike.

Top Bottom