Anyone got a wheel truing stand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Care to share your experiences? So far it's looking like I will go for a Minoura Workman Pro but I haven't ruled out one from my usual favourite - Park Tools.

Dave.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

I guess you're all using your frame as a truing stand (which I do right now) xx(

yello

I haven't got one but I do want one! They're a bit pricey, as I recall, but I consider it to be the jewel in the crown of the home cycle workshop. I keep my eyes open at local car boot sales in the hope but I suspect it's more wishful thinking than a possibility!

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Hi yello,

I think I'll be spending up to £80, the next worthwhile step up after that is really in the daily use / shop category at >£200. There are some in the £40 bracket, but I think I can justify £80 or so as I have 3 bikes and I just love to fettle my bikes (almost as much as riding them, which is a bit worrying xx( .
Still, in 19 years of serious cycling, I have yet to have a bike shop do any work on my bikes at all, so it's worth it.

Dave.

e-rider

crappy member
I have the Minoura Workman pro and it is brilliant and good value for money as you get a dishing tool as well. I looked at the park and decided on the minoura - looking back now I definitely made the correct decision.

I hope you have some experience truing/builder as if you are a beginner, it's not as easy as you think. I've been building for 15 years now and the workman pro IS a good tool.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Thanks tundra,

I do have some experience in truing wheels, I have been able to correct all the various wobbles that my wheels have developed over the years. I'm by no means an expert, I just want the truing rig to make it slightly easier and to improve on accuracy.

Dave.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

There seem to be 2 versions of the Minoura truing stand at the £70ish point. One has orange detailing on it and is (apparently) without the wheel dishing tool. Which one do you have?
Cheers,
Dave.

I've got one of these.
ultimate%20truing%20station%20med.jpg

It's not seen a huge amount of use yet, but it seems to work well.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Dave, if you're handy carpentry wise, Roger Musson's wheelpro book (about a tenner, I think) includes plans for a home built truing stand (made mostly out of MDF).

Mr Pig

dodgy said:
You got a bargain mate!

I would if I knew how to use it!

My son's wheels are slightly out of true but I'm frightened to try and straighten them in case I muck it up. I'm just going to wait until I get a chance to get shown what to do, or I might practice on an old wheel. In the long term I'm sure I'll use it.

Top Bottom