Anyone got an Islabike for sale 20"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donna

Hi all,

My son is 7 in a few weeks, he is very small for his age and is desperate to have gears on his bike. Im aware of the Beinn 20 Islabike, which are £220, a bit more than I can pay right now.

Ive searched the internet and it seems they dont go on sale second hand anywhere, surely "SOMEONE" must have grown out of one ha ha

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Donna

OP
OP
D

Donna

oh dear, just noticed the "for sale, wanted" sections

ChrisKH

Guru
My 7 year old is on the 24" already. Very difficult to source these second hand. I sold a 20" at Christmas and it went for more than I bought it for (retail price went up in the meantime).

I know these seem like a lot of money, but you always get a good return when you sell them, if they are looked after.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've already dropped hints to my friends that I'm interested in buying their 26" Islabikes off them when their children out grow them (especially one that I know has hardly been riden at all!).... I'm hoping I get 2 years out of our current 24" bike - I like them. Saw several tackling the longer rides on Bristol's Biggest Bike Ride at the weekend. My son was 8 and a half and only just fitted the 24" son Chris - your son is obviously a lot taller than mine! (who isn't tall for his age).

Yeah I've still got one of the Kona's, pictured below. I do have an Isla as well but I don't think he'll be out of it 'till the end of the year. What are you going to use it for mostly, on the roads or off road because the Isla is better for roadwork but the Kona wins on trails.

IMG_3816.JPG

It's had very little use and is in very good condition, a few minor marks and scratches. I can give you full details if you are interested. Looking for £100 for it.

OP
OP
D

Donna

hi guys, sorry for the delay, busy week lol

I took him to Halfords the other day, he currently has a 16" bike, (he is really small) and the 18" and 20" are just far too big for him. Ive tried loads of 20" bikes with different shaped frames so he can have gears, they are all too big.

I think the Islabike 20 small is his size??

Thanks anyway guys, he might have to wait for Santa, and see if he has grown at all!!

Donna, I bought mine before the small and large came in, so I don't know which one it corresponds to now but here it is next to the Kona to give you a comparison of size.

IMG_3826.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

And a side view as well. Ignore the rusty chain, I've just renewed the transmission and all cables. It's a full time job maintaining the kids bikes.

When I do come to sell it, I'll advertise it on here.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Looking at it I would guess the small size looking at the height of the seat post clamp which appears to be below the height of the wheel - whereas the large 20 seems to have the clamp higher than the wheel. (That's purely looking at the bikes on the web-site and trying to guess from the head on view of your photo).

I have no idea whether that is the correct way to tell but I found out that whilst we were waiting for our youngest to grow into an Apollo 20 that he could fit on other 20" bikes due to this difference. In the end we gave up and bought a Giant 20" instead.

Donna said:
Hi all,

My son is 7 in a few weeks, he is very small for his age and is desperate to have gears on his bike. Im aware of the Beinn 20 Islabike, which are £220, a bit more than I can pay right now.

Ive searched the internet and it seems they dont go on sale second hand anywhere, surely "SOMEONE" must have grown out of one ha ha

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Donna

From the age of 7 my son, who is also a tiddler, had a Specialized Hot Rock exactly the same as this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Childrens-20-...d=ViewItem&pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2eae097d1d and it worked very well for him. He's 11 now and only just grown into the 24" wheel version of the same bike, although what he really wants is a 24" wheel quality road bike, which are even more difficult to source at a reasonable price. The Hot Rock is easier to find secondhand than the Islabike and I can certainly recommend it (but get rid of the chain guide rollers just behind the chainwheel, they are noisy and not necessary).

Gordon

Top Bottom