Anyone had a knee replacement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I've known for years that at some point I'd need a knee replacement. An accident 30 odd years ago has left me with limited movement (about 90 degrees) and severe arthritis in one knee. I had it x-rayed a couple of years ago and was told I had the knee of a 90 year old and that a replacement would have to be done sooner rather than later. I'm aged 50.

I've been putting it off, but the pain after cycling for anything more than 30 miles is steadily getting worse and I don't want to live on ibuprofen:rolleyes: Walking is worse - a recent weekend wandering around Barcelona left me in fairly bad pain.

So, anyone had it done? Did it work? How long does the replacement joint last? Any implications for me, given that I've not bent my leg properly for 30 years, so presumably all the other bits that need to move to enable full bending will be inflexible at best?

Cheers.

Garethgas

After several brilliant attempts at humour, I felt that your post was too sincere for a flippant remark.
Unfortunately, I have no experience whatsoever with knee problems (yet) but a friend of mine had it done 3 yrs ago and he's been behaving like a 25 yr old.
He; in his 60's now but had it done in his late 50's and he's annoyingly fit.
I'm sure others will have better info for you though

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
After several brilliant attempts at humour, I felt that your post was too sincere for a flippant remark.
Unfortunately, I have no experience whatsoever with knee problems (yet) but a friend of mine had it done 3 yrs ago and he's been behaving like a 25 yr old.
He; in his 60's now but had it done in his late 50's and he's annoyingly fit.
I'm sure others will have better info for you though

Feel free with the humour, I could do with a laugh and I'm not a sensitive soul^_^

My missus (baby tiger) has had 2 in the same knee and within both were 14 months apart, the first went horribly wrong and put her in a wheelchair for months, the surgeon who did the original op was a proper jumped up big head, and after the op we wanted a few questions answered............he wouldnt even sopeak to us, so we went back to our gp who managed to get Eileen a second opinion at the Claremont hospital in Sheffield (Team SKY, Rapha Condor and a few other big names use this hospital) and the surgeon there knew straight away that the first op was not finished properly and the new joint would have a very limited range of movement and was extremely painfull even with oxycodone morphine tablets taken daily, so he decided to attempt the op again and he did a proper job, Eileen does still get the odd twinge but it is manageable with non prescribed painkillers now and she has now got back on her bike and rides to work every day, even up a monster hill, she is even coming out on long 50+ mile rides with me, her best ride so far was a 75 miler with a couple of long drags uphill thrown in, so if the op is done correct you should be pain free but still get an odd twinge which is nothing compared to what you are getting now, and you should be back on the bike in around 4-6 months.............if you need any info just send her a message and she will explain all you need to know, fears, expectations ect without bearing your soul to the world:thumbsup: after all it is a very big op and very scarey to any person.

Top Bottom