Anyone had dental implants?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
You could always move abroad the come back and get it free as a foreign national.
??

Smudge

Veteran
I had an all on 4 (midlife will know) top set and I have to say best thing I have done. I had been wearing dentures for some years and was fed up to the back teeth with them (pardon the pun)

Like many I was filled with trepidation but I have to say the surgeon was brilliant. I had the kind of anesthetic where you are still awake but don't really know what is going on.

I had little to no pain afterwards (except to my bank balance!) You just need to follow the advice given with regard to food, cleaning regime (get a water flosser)

I even got to like yoghurt!!

Cheap it ain't but I can't put a price on how much better, more confident I now feel and I have saved a fortune on denture fixative 😀😀😀

How much was the all on 4 treatment in total ?
Its something i was considering for the lower set.

Smudge

Veteran
I paid 17k. I feel sure I could have got it cheaper and people will tell me they only paid X or Y but I am happy with the results.

Wow, that is a big outlay. Was that just for the top set ?
I was being told around £10K for the lower set, but that was only a rough estimate. I would have needed to pay a few hundred for a consultation plus having xrays to get a more likely amount. I could see that price probably going up.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just that we read about so many foreign people coming here and getting free healthcare treatment.
What a load of tosh. Put the Daily Mail away and go for a cycle ;)
However, you can get implants on the NHS too (done by an expert like midlife) if you meet what are presumably stringent medical reasons

12boy

Guru
I had a canine tooth crack into two pieces and could have had a bridge but didn't like the idea so had an implant. The local guy is an arrogant SOB so I made 3 round trips of 400 miles each to someone else. The first trip was to pull the tooth and put powdered corpse bone in the socket. In a few months that fused and a TI shaft with a threaded orifice was embedded in the new bone. After a month or so a tooth was fitted on the post with a very small bolt. There was a tiny trap door type dealiebob so that if it broke or failed in some way they could unscrew the bolt and put on a new tooth. That was over 5 years and it's hard to remember which tooth it was, it has been so trouble free. Even with dental insurance it was over $3k. The initial extraction hurt like hell and my jaw swelled up like a chipmunk, definitely reducing my manly beauty, but the next two were no big deal. My wife went along to spend a lot of money in the grocery stores there since they carried things not found in our little town. They have a great kabob (how we spell it ) place and a nice creperie, so we'd make a day of it, although I always ate before the dentist. Both these places had Al fresco seating so our little pooch didn't have to stay in the car and cook. The creperie even brought her a little plate of bacon, which we let her have on this one occasion, and which she thought was the greatest. Was it a pain in the tuchus to drive 1200 miles for this procedure.... you bet, but we had fun and I didn't give the SOB a penny. Sometimes you gotta vote with your wallet.
big
deal.

midlife

Guru
The guy who taught me "all-on-4" is called Paulo Malo, I went to his clinic in Lisbon for my training. Give him a google, he has his own vineyard and travels by helicopter.

He charges 60,000 Euro (yep, that's sixty thousand) for top and bottom all-on 4 :smile:

Dave7

Legendary Member
What a load of tosh. Put the Daily Mail away and go for a cycle ;)
However, you can get implants on the NHS too (done by an expert like midlife) if you meet what are presumably stringent medical reasons
I cant get any nhs free. Paid ito it for 50 years though.

vickster

Legendary Member
I cant get any nhs free. Paid ito it for 50 years though.
Here you go

They're sometimes available on the NHS for patients who can't wear dentures or whose face and teeth have been damaged, such as people who have had mouth cancer or an accident that's knocked a tooth out.

Presumably you receive other medical care via the NHS. I don't believe it was ever designed to provide cosmetic dentistry
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...h-dental-treatments-are-available-on-the-nhs/
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

Last edited:
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've been involved in hundreds and hundreds of implants as it's part of my job. Best recommendation is to stay in the UK and have a consultation with someone who is recognised. Where are you?
Sorry, forgot to respond to this - London. Where c.2K seems to be about the going rate.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Here you go

They're sometimes available on the NHS for patients who can't wear dentures or whose face and teeth have been damaged, such as people who have had mouth cancer or an accident that's knocked a tooth out.

Presumably you receive other medical care via the NHS. I don't believe it was ever designed to provide cosmetic dentistry
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...h-dental-treatments-are-available-on-the-nhs/
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/
Well thats me out then. As I said, I worked 50 years and didn't p*ss it up the wall so have savings.
I dont fit the other criteria.
I am having this tooth out plus a filling on the 22nd.......its costing me £62.00.
94 year old aunty.... worked till she was 70. Waiting for a filling and has to pay for it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Top Bottom