Anyone had dental implants?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy, it might have been a long time ago and my memory is not what it used to be but given the situation did I suggest asking to be seen in the East Lancs Trust (Blackburn Royal) ? the mirror image of me working there is my colleague Derek Moore.
You did,3 years ago. I asked the dentist when i had some NHS stuff done in January if she'd refer me to the dental dept' at Blackburn Royal,but she said it wasn't necessary. After that i went up to the hospital to ask if they could look at me,but they said i have to be referred by a dentist. ideally i'd like the middle bottom 2 teeth taken out and have a denture,but the dentist in January said i can only have an extraction if it's the last resort.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The receptionist said it'll be £45 then i'l probably need two X-rays bringing it up to £65. It's not a 'posh' dentists either. I thought i'd go to a run down a bit type expecting it to be cheaper. I'll think it over tonight. My appointment's on Thursday,so i suppose i could always cancel it tomorrow and think about it. I'm thinking if the examination is more than others charge,the treatment will be as well.
Not necessarily. I’d go somewhere based on personal recommendations (which is what I did), especially for complex and expensive treatment.
I don’t know how much my place charges a new patient walking off the street

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy, it might have been a long time ago and my memory is not what it used to be but given the situation did I suggest asking to be seen in the East Lancs Trust (Blackburn Royal) ? the mirror image of me working there is my colleague Derek Moore.
So what do you recommend. Have a private check up,or push for the 'i'd like to be referred to the hospital's dentistry department' option?

midlife

Guru
Accy, people who have had their mouths altered by surgery, major trauma or congenital defects are often referred to hospital dental departments for advice, help and treatment. This is what I would suggest you pursue, by way of a referral from a doctor or if possible your dentist.

I am a hospital dentist as you know and these groups mentioned above are my priority patient groups.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy, people who have had their mouths altered by surgery, major trauma or congenital defects are often referred to hospital dental departments for advice, help and treatment. This is what I would suggest you pursue, by way of a referral from a doctor or if possible your dentist.

I am a hospital dentist as you know and these groups mentioned above are my priority patient groups.
Ok,thanks for that! So do you think having a consultation or check up,whatever they're called would be a waste of time and money?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a dental appointment at of all times two thirty:rolleyes: this afternoon. I spoke to the dentist the other day. She looked at my problem teeth and said that she can do something for them/me,so i won't be wasting my consultation fee money by being told 'nothing can be done'. She also told me that the dental department at the hospital won't do cosmetic dental work,unless they're extreme circumstances,so i can't get them sorted for free. I'm ok about that,at least i know now.

alicat

Legendary Member
Hope it goes well, Accy.

Another extraction, leaving one tooth (molar) standing rather forlornly between a brace of gaps. My dentist's talking about maybe getting implants, and I'm definitely interested - the idea of falsies doesn't appeal, and with luck I should have a decade or two to get my money's worth out of any investment. But we are talking a big investment. Also, I've heard of complications...things not quite working out...ongoing pain/discomfort....the need for follow up treatments, again at major expense...and so on. So, has anyone had them done? Worth it? Recommended? Regretted? Any thoughts appreciated.
Apologies, I'm a bit late to the party.
I have a problem with my upper set of teeth. I've had a NHS plate for some time, and it is as uncomfortable as hell. last october I lost another tooth and had an extra one fitted to my plate. Major disaster. Typical NHS bungle job. dentist had a couple of goes, and my dremel was used quite a lot in trying to get the plate to fit. Extra material had just been slapped on regardless of how it would fit in my mouth. Suppose you get what you pay for.

In our village there is a man who makes dental implants to fit. Private treatment so I have to pay. But...I've had 4 separate fittings, with dummy plates made. This virus has delayed things but on Wednesday i got my new final plate. What a difference it Makes. I was pissed off with the discomfort and constant rooting out food scraps from the original plate. This fits me leaving the roof of my mouth open, and according to SWMBO it looks normal.

The new plate fits on my gums and clasps round my few remaining teeth. After only two days I hardly notice it. I haven't had to pull it out and mess about with toothpicks, and my whole mouth just feels so much closer to "normal". The plate is nothing like the NHS one. Chalk and cheese. I was initially msceptical that I could avoid either having implants, or having the whole top row taken out.

i don't know where you are, but if you can find someone like my man then you might be advised to have at least a consultation to see what he can do for you.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Apologies, I'm a bit late to the party.
I have a problem with my upper set of teeth. I've had a NHS plate for some time, and it is as uncomfortable as hell. last october I lost another tooth and had an extra one fitted to my plate. Major disaster. Typical NHS bungle job. dentist had a couple of goes, and my dremel was used quite a lot in trying to get the plate to fit. Extra material had just been slapped on regardless of how it would fit in my mouth. Suppose you get what you pay for.

In our village there is a man who makes dental implants to fit. Private treatment so I have to pay. But...I've had 4 separate fittings, with dummy plates made. This virus has delayed things but on Wednesday i got my new final plate. What a difference it Makes. I was pissed off with the discomfort and constant rooting out food scraps from the original plate. This fits me leaving the roof of my mouth open, and according to SWMBO it looks normal.

The new plate fits on my gums and clasps round my few remaining teeth. After only two days I hardly notice it. I haven't had to pull it out and mess about with toothpicks, and my whole mouth just feels so much closer to "normal". The plate is nothing like the NHS one. Chalk and cheese. I was initially msceptical that I could avoid either having implants, or having the whole top row taken out.

i don't know where you are, but if you can find someone like my man then you might be advised to have at least a consultation to see what he can do for you.
Thanks, that's really interesting. Dental plates being basically old school false teeth, yes? Must admit I hadn't actually considered those.

Had a filling drop out a couple of weeks ago, and after a week or so got in to see the dentist - one of 'the other dentists', 'cos mine's on maternity leave. Gave me a temporary filling and a full-bore hard-sell on implants. Came across not so much as a dentist, more an implant salesman in a white coat.

But I digress. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your plate cost? A few hundred quid would be one thing. Four or six grand is a different story.

Thanks, that's really interesting. Dental plates being basically old school false teeth, yes? Must admit I hadn't actually considered those.

Had a filling drop out a couple of weeks ago, and after a week or so got in to see the dentist - one of 'the other dentists', 'cos mine's on maternity leave. Gave me a temporary filling and a full-bore hard-sell on implants. Came across not so much as a dentist, more an implant salesman in a white coat.

But I digress. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your plate cost? A few hundred quid would be one thing. Four or six grand is a different story.
My plate is approx 3/4 of my upper jaw. Cost £750. Initially I thought that was a lot, but I had to have a new plate and another crappy NHS one would be close on £300 so I thought wtf. Coffins don't have pockets.

Early days of course, but so far it seems to be a worthwhile investment.

midlife

Guru
My plate is approx 3/4 of my upper jaw. Cost £750. Initially I thought that was a lot, but I had to have a new plate and another crappy NHS one would be close on £300 so I thought wtf. Coffins don't have pockets.

Early days of course, but so far it seems to be a worthwhile investment.

£750 is too cheap for an implant solution. Probably more like a flexible denture or similar. Google Valplast denture, I make quite a few here but use a material called Vertex ThermoSens Flexible.

Top Bottom