Anyone had experience of buying a bike direct from India?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I quite fancy one of the old fashioned 'roadster' type bikes, just for bimbling around and to compliment my wifes Raleigh Popular.
Something like this Hero.
Studio_20171021_084508.png

Or this BSA
Studio_20171021_085143.png

Looking online they seem to retail at around £50 - £60 in India.
I'm thinking it might be worth a punt ordering direct from a retailer in India - what do you reckon?
Anyone done this?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
If only User1314 were here.
Eh?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Ive not bought one but I've ridden quite a few Indian bikes... they're okay enough, in that they get you from A to B.
They're made with cheap materials, and they're put together in huge numbers and fast, so don't expect any degree of quality whatsoever. It'll be very, very heavy, and you'll be kept busy adjusting stuff as everything seems to go out of kilter quite often.
On the upside, the frames last forever... for 60 quid I guess it's worth an experiment. How are you getting it here?
Also, who makes it, is it Hero?

Someone I know imported a bunch of them, including one rickshaw model. They were absolute and utter rubbish. You will not want to ride one mile on one of them. The rickshaw model ended up as a decoration outside a restaurant. No-one has even tried to steal it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Ive not bought one but I've ridden quite a few Indian bikes... they're okay enough, in that they get you from A to B.
They're made with cheap materials, and they're put together in huge numbers and fast, so don't expect any degree of quality whatsoever. It'll be very, very heavy, and you'll be kept busy adjusting stuff as everything seems to go out of kilter quite often.
On the upside, the frames last forever... for 60 quid I guess it's worth an experiment. How are you getting it here?
Also, who makes it, is it Hero?
It would be about what I'd expect at that price, but it would only be used for short level rides of around 5 miles.
How am I getting it here? Dunno - thats why I posted asking if anyone has done it.

Someone I know imported a bunch of them, including one rickshaw model. They were absolute and utter rubbish. You will not want to ride one mile on one of them.
The Indians seem to get good use out of them.;)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Surely User1314 could be summoned in the traditional way but sadly this purchase may turn out to a crock of something entirely unconnected to gold.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Looks to me like it was made by a bunch of Indians.
Probably the same ones who built my missus's 1983 'Made in England' Raleigh Popular. Come to think of it, they were probably Cowboys though......
20170923_133644.jpg

Believe me, the build quality couldn't be worse......

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
We scoff at Indian build quality but millions of people ride Hero bikes, and hardly any are maintained like we'd maintain ours. I've ridden many a rusty Hero BSO in Goa and while they're not pleasant they do just keep taking punishment year after year. On every bike you see, chains, handlebar and seat posts are always rusted, tyres are cracked, but you know what, they just keep going. They're made for a particular market and type of "cyclist", one who doesn't care about weight, handling, whether the brakes and gears operate well, or any of that. What they care about is whether it's better than walking, how many crates of chickens it'll carry, and how cheap it is. It's a bike designed for its place.

Worth noting too that the more expensive (70 quid) Indian bikes come with Shimano components, although they're the baseline ones.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
We scoff at Indian build quality but millions of people ride Hero bikes, and hardly any are maintained like we'd maintain ours. I've ridden many a rusty Hero BSO in Goa and while they're not pleasant they do just keep taking punishment year after year. On every bike you see, chains, handlebar and seat posts are always rusted, tyres are cracked, but you know what, they just keep going. They're made for a particular market and type of "cyclist", one who doesn't care about weight, handling, whether the brakes and gears operate well, or any of that. What they care about is whether it's better than walking, how many crates of chickens it'll carry, and how cheap it is. It's a bike designed for its place.
Pretty much my thoughts on the subject.:okay:

Top Bottom