Anyone had experience of buying a bike direct from India?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
So.......getting back to my original post......has anyone got any actual experience of buying direct from India?

So.......getting back to my original post......has anyone got any actual experience of buying direct from India?

I'm going to India (Goa) in just over a week's time for 4.5 months.

My lbs sells them, so it shouldn't be a problem to ship one over (possibly). If you like, I'll find out how much they cost (probably between £40-£60 at a guess). If you're still interested, I could find out about forwarding them to wherever you live.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm going to India (Goa) in just over a week's time for 4.5 months.

My lbs sells them, so it shouldn't be a problem to ship one over (possibly). If you like, I'll find out how much they cost (probably between £40-£60 at a guess). If you're still interested, I could find out about forwarding them to wherever you live.
Cheers! Will be interesting to see what you turn up.:okay:
I'm presuming that there would be a good chance of me being hit with an import/vat tax bill that would need to be factored in.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
You could maybe fly to India, try before you buy, and then ride the BSO of choice back to Blighty...

That’d be a blog worth reading ^_^

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Many moons ago i bought an old royal enfield 350 bullet to do up . I was quite surprised to find all of the parts where available from India as they had bought all of the factories tooling .

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
OK, I'll keep you informed.

Are you interested in both bikes (price-wise, not buying) or just the one? And what size are you after?
Ta.
Just interested in seeing if a reputable dealer would ship one direct and how much that would be.

Ta.
Just interested in seeing if a reputable dealer would ship one direct and how much that would be.

The post office in the nearest village sends lots of larger items internationally. I'll ask there first, after talking to the lady shop owner.

(Hypothetically) Once the bike arrives from the manufacturer to the shop, it might be best if it stays in the box, so it's ready for shipping, unless they set it up to see if it's in full working order, then take it apart again and re-box it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You could maybe fly to India, try before you buy, and then ride the BSO of choice back to Blighty...

That’d be a blog worth reading ^_^
I did a forum ride with Fiona N once (I wonder what she is up to these days?) and she told me that she worked in Australia for a while. Eventually, it was time to come back so she bought a mountain bike and rode it home to the UK! :eek:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The bikes you seem to be looking at mostly come with a 28 x 1 1/2" (635 mm) wheel size, which will make tyre replacement an on-going awkwardness.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cheers! Will be interesting to see what you turn up.:okay:
I'm presuming that there would be a good chance of me being hit with an import/vat tax bill that would need to be factored in.
From the HMRC import duty tables, I think you will pay 14% import duty plus VAT. You will be charged VAT on the shipping charges too. Get the shipping charges on the import paperwork or HMRC will "estimate" them and charge VAT on their estimate (and they won't err in your favour).

The website is here......

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

Bicycles with ball bearings:

Import
The commodity code for importing is 8712003090.

Goods are subject to VAT standard rate.

Importing from outside the EU is subject to a third country duty of 14.00 % unless subject to other measures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
From the HMRC import duty tables, I think you will pay 14% import duty plus VAT. You will be charged VAT on the shipping charges too. Get the shipping charges on the import paperwork or HMRC will "estimate" them and charge VAT on their estimate (and they won't err in your favour).

The website is here......

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

Bicycles with ball bearings:

Import
The commodity code for importing is 8712003090.

Goods are subject to VAT standard rate.

Importing from outside the EU is subject to a third country duty of 14.00 % unless subject to other measures.
Thanks - thats interesting and helpful.:okay:

Top Bottom