Anyone have an unused musical instrument at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Which is all you really need for an electric instrument - the body is only really of use in an acoustic instrument.
Aye. I took a jigsaw to the original body and made a right pig's ear of it... I've been meaning to get my hands on a nice chunk of hardwood and cut a new one for... erm... about... [counts fingers] ... [counts toes] ...a good twenty years now :blush:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Off the top of my head:
Handel (honorary Englishman)
Sullivan
Arne
Boyce
Stanley
SS Wesley
Stanford
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
JC Bach and Mendelssohn (almost honorary Englishmen, and Haydn came close)
John Field (inventor of the nocturne)
Pearsall
Dyson

Apart from Sullivan, and the various visiting Germans who make a 1/3rd of the list, not many household names there. Arne was a bit of a one-hit-wonder wasn't he

I think your post highlights the 200 year gap in British music rather than contradicting.

well apart from that, what did.the Romans ever do for us...

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
When I was at school, i was offered a violin to play, I took it home and my mother said, "what do you want to play that thing for? You'll never learn that" So I didn't. Some weeks later I was offered the cornet and she said something similar, and I never learned that either. My mother was very good to me, but she never encouraged me to learn an instrument. I'll never forgive her for that.
My parents bought me a acoustic guitar when I was 10 or 12 and I saved up for Bert Weedon's Play in a day book. Parents confiscated the book. I saved again and it was confiscated again. 5 tries later, I got the hint. I too was offered instruments at school - violin, trumpet, clarinet & flute I believe but Mother said I was too useless to ever learn them.

stephec

Legendary Member
My parents bought me a acoustic guitar when I was 10 or 12 and I saved up for Bert Weedon's Play in a day book. Parents confiscated the book. I saved again and it was confiscated again. 5 tries later, I got the hint. I too was offered instruments at school - violin, trumpet, clarinet & flute I believe but Mother said I was too useless to ever learn them.
That seems strange that they would give you the guitar, but not want you buying a book for it.

You've proved her wrong now though. :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
:sad: That makes me sad.
If you would like something else to feel sad about, here is my story ... :whistle:

We were all taught to play the recorder at school. I picked it up much quicker than the other boys in my class so the music teacher took me to one side and told me that he thought I had an aptitude for music. If I wanted to learn a 'more sophisticated instrument' then the school would supply it, and would also arrange for me to have free lessons. I quite fancied learning to play the piano, but felt that I had enough on my plate studying for 9 O-levels so I turned down the offer. The second choice boy had piano lessons instead of me. About 10 years later, I was in a music shop and spotted him demonstrating pianos and electronic organs. His playing was very impressive and it suddenly struck me that I had made the wrong decision 10 years earlier ... :thumbsdown:

stephec

Legendary Member
If you would like something else to feel sad about, here is my story ... :whistle:

We were all taught to play the recorder at school. I picked it up much quicker than the other boys in my class so the music teacher took me to one side and told me that he thought I had an aptitude for music. If I wanted to learn a 'more sophisticated instrument' then the school would supply it, and would also arrange for me to have free lessons. I quite fancied learning to play the piano, but felt that I had enough on my plate studying for 9 O-levels so I turned down the offer. The second choice boy had piano lessons instead of me. About 10 years later, I was in a music shop and spotted him demonstrating pianos and electronic organs. His playing was very impressive and it suddenly struck me that I had made the wrong decision 10 years earlier ... :thumbsdown:
You could still learn now though.

I never had any interest in playing music at school, but a while ago I bought a banjo ukulele and had a bash at that.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran

Seriously, man, you've got to start with that guitar of yours, or the piano, and get going! You'll be amazing.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
My fiance John bought me a cheap ukulele from the works for Christmas. It was meant as a stocking filler but it surprised him when it was one of the biggest hits. It wouldn't stay in tune very well though so I went out and bought one of these: http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/eastcoast-ucx-ros-s-traditional-acoustic-concert-ukulele-zebra.html

Archeress x
The cheap ones never stay in tune - the posh ones are lovely. Mine is not rubbish, but not posh, good for the strumming I give it from time to time!

ColinJ

You could still learn now though.

I never had any interest in playing music at school, but a while ago I bought a banjo ukulele and had a bash at that.
I keep telling myself to, but something always seems to get in the way!

It wouldn't hurt me to spend 45 minutes less a day in front of the TV, and use that time to practice playing my guitar or (digital) piano.

Seriously, man, you've got to start with that guitar of yours, or the piano, and get going! You'll be amazing.
Every time I have tried, I get frustrated. I am the musical equivalent of a novice cyclist who tries to do a hilly 200 km audax for his/her first ride!

I try and stick to what I am supposed to be learning, but eventually rush on before I am ready and get out of my depth.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran

It wouldn't hurt me to spend 45 minutes less a day in front of the TV, and use that time to practice playing my guitar or (digital) piano.

Every time I have tried, I get frustrated. I am the musical equivalent of a novice cyclist who tries to do a hilly 200 km audax for his/her first ride!

I try and stick to what I am supposed to be learning, but eventually rush on before I am ready and get out of my depth.
Do you have lessons?

stephec

Legendary Member

20 minutes a day, you could do the guitar while you're watching the news.

Saluki

World class procrastinator

Have you had a look at http://www.justinguitar.com/. Justin is really good and goes from 'this is a D chord' to really advanced stuff. There is
yourguitarsage on youtube as well. Equally awesome. Both put the info across really well.

ColinJ

Do you have lessons?
Nope.

I did start having piano lessons about 30 years ago. I got on quite well for 3 weeks, and then work pressure went crazy. I was doing 10 or 11 hour days and often working at weekends too so I didn't have the time and the energy to practice. I suspended the lessons, intending to start again when work settled down. Unfortunately, work was demanding for years after that so I never got round to it.

I read in the local paper that the piano teacher died of cancer a few years after I'd met her. Very sad - she was a talented musician, a nice woman and wasn't very old.

I need to stop making excuses and get on with it!

If I ever get to the point where I can play something without feeling embarrassed about it, I'll stick a video of me playing up on YouTube and you will know that threads like this helped nudge me into learning!

Top Bottom