Anyone having a "cycling" holiday this year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Two weeks in France imminent

Nice :thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
[QUOTE 1394497"]

Actually MrsUser76 is the only nervous one, cycling on the 'wrong' side etc. It'll be fine.
[/quote]

Tell her from me, she'll be fine. Especially in a small group, you adapt very quickly. The trickiest bit I find is if you are on a cyclepath alongside a road and have to cross a junction, it takes a few times to remember which way to look first. In Holland though, where you're more likely to encounter such a thing, I think you have right of way anyway.

I've never forgotton on a bike, and only once while driving.

Any nerves are swifty overcome by the general loveliness of the drivers around cyclists.

Nothing major planned for me, I'll be at Wooler for a regular social cycling weekend in October.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I'm planning a week somewhere in the UK. Just trying to work out when and what the midge forecast is likely to be in Scotland...

I very nearly won the bike holiday battle this year but I think I've lost it now, so I'll have to regroup and try again next year. Perhaps I'll just book it without telling them. It's these folks I fancy, have done for a while http://www.bretonbikes.com/.

Other than that, the bikes always come with us on holiday and I might make a break for a few days by myself but it's no more than a half formed plan.

Flyingfox

Off to Klagenfurt in Austria next weekend for a weeks cycling around the Worthersee area. Beautiful lakes lovely weather and the odd cold beer :rolleyes:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
We're going...somewhere! Am going to heed Telemark's advice and have a look through the touring section for inspiration - we're going to have a few days away in June/July in the UK and then a full week in September, probably in France/Germany/Belgium/Italy...

byegad

Legendary Member
I had four weekends planned but had to miss weekend number two due to illness. Still hoping to make the last two.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The lovely Helen doesn't cycle but our main summer holiday always involves me cycling. Either I hire a bike locally or take one, or more, of my own with me. Two weeks away, half of the time we do our own thing, me cycling, her sitting on a sun lounger by some water reading, and the other half we hang together doing culture food and wine. This year we are staying on the eastern fringe of the Picos and I'm taking a mtb and a road bike.

Only time it hasn't worked was when we went to Crete a few years back. Too damn hot to cycle anywhere and the glue in all our books melted.

dodgy

I'd love to, but my family are just not into cycling, which is a shame.

My wife isn't into cycling, but she's well educated (she can name riders in the Tour, knows an MTB from a road bike, and crucially, can spot a new bike in my fleet), but that doesn't stop us from having a cycling holiday. We go to the Alps in July, I get up early at 6am ish, and ride one of a number of routes, usually back by 11am for a full day of whatever.

No need to deny yourself some amazing experiences because your other half/family don't share your enthusiasm.

Munchkin100

Taking the bike with me to Dorset end of June and again in September for a change of scenery. Last year did loads of walking, so this year I will be going alot further, not sure whether to take road or MTB... maybe both :-)

As the other half is as into cycling as I am we have a week of MTB booked in les arcs in August, and that's either going to be preceeded or followed by a week's camping which may or may not feature selected road rides, depending on how we feel....

Top Bottom