Anyone here from Avonmouth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ajb

I'm not.

Rob S

User76 said:
Do you have to go to Avonmouth then Dan? It's pretty bloody grim.

You take that back....Avonmouth is an enchanting end to my ride through the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley.

johnnyh

Veteran
All I am saying is the Water Treatment Works (Sewage) has a bloody large screw pump weighing in at some 22 tonnes, and as a young lad my father - who worked for the water authority at the time, took me to see it.

My one memory of Avonmouth - turds going up a pump! ;)

radger

Veteran
Here's a picture of Avonmouth looking almost pleasant. ;)

Rob S

User76 said:
I will not be taking that back I'm afraid. I can only assume you are talking about another Avonmouth, and not Avonmouth village.

I'm talking about the one and only Avonmouth....many a summer evening I have ridden through Avonmouth after a trek through the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean. The views of the smelting works and power station lit by the golden glow of the sunset is a joy to behold. I keep meaning to get some pictures of it but frankly I can never see though the viewfinder because of the tears of joy.
I hope that English Heritage preserve that overhead conveyor when it is no longer in use...I'd hate to see that go.

It's not all rosy in Avonmouth though....there's hardly anywhere to have a picnic due to a lack of roadside seating.

Davidc

Guru
Rob S said:
I'm talking about the one and only Avonmouth....many a summer evening I have ridden through Avonmouth after a trek through the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean. The views of the smelting works and power station lit by the golden glow of the sunset is a joy to behold. I keep meaning to get some pictures of it but frankly I can never see though the viewfinder because of the tears of joy.
I hope that English Heritage preserve that overhead conveyor when it is no longer in use...I'd hate to see that go.

It's not all rosy in Avonmouth though....there's hardly anywhere to have a picnic due to a lack of roadside seating.

Never mind - nothing that a small nuke couldn't improve greatly!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I agree it has got a bit of industrial heritage about it... (good from a photographic point of view) but it has a sort of very insular feel to it, that its separate from Bristol somehow yet its inside the Bristol city boundary where other places that I would call Bristol aren't.

Rob S

summerdays said:
I agree it has got a bit of industrial heritage about it... (good from a photographic point of view)

I feel it's time to point out I was joking.:smile:

There's only one thing more depressing than cycling through Avonmouth and that's doing it at the weekend when everything is deserted!:tongue:

Keith Oates

Janner
Rob S said:
I feel it's time to point out I was joking.:lol:

There's only one thing more depressing than cycling through Avonmouth and that's doing it at the weekend when everything is deserted!:smile:

I'm glad about that I'd thought you had flipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom