Anyone here from Kilmarnock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Your best bet might be @Brandane , I think he's familiar with the area. My knowledge of it is fairly old.

bruce1530

Guru
I’m a few miles north (saltcoats area). What info do you need?

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I'll be stopping at the Premier Inn on Crossfields roundabout sometime next week and I'm hoping to get out for a run.

Looking at Google maps I'm not sure if the routes I've got marked out are roads that have a footpath alongside them, from the attached screenshots would anyone know the answer?

bruce1530

Guru
The section immediately outside the Premier Inn, going towards the hospital, can be quite busy, but definitely rideable. There's a footpath alongside most of it.

There are also lots of quiet country roads in that area, and National Cycle Route 73 passes just behind the hospital, running from Kilmarnock to Irvine on a traffic free route.

bruce1530

Guru
Alternatively, come out of the Premier Inn and head through the new housing estate behind it. There’s a path that takes you from the far end of that development (Ballochmyle Walk) through to the park area of Mount Village - from there head slightly into kilmarnock, then back out via Holmes Rd. You can then loop round back to Mount Village, giving you a 5k circuit. Approx 1 - 1.5 k is in a residential area, the rest on country roads where you’re unlikely to see a car.

Don’t know if i’d like to do it in the dark though.....

1571861605767.png

bruce1530

Guru
You also need to be aware that Kilmarnock is very different from the rest of the world :-)

Specifically, Hallowe’en in Kilmarnock is not on the 31 October. It’s always on the last friday of October.
This weekend (Sunday, so 2 days after Kilmarnock Halloween!), they’re hosting the “Halloween Running Festival”, with a 1k fun run, 5k road race and a 2k “Zombie Dash”.

Top Bottom