Anyone here rode around Rutland Waters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vincealot

Hello there,

Didnt know which section to post this in. Hopefully here will be o

The place I work at have organised a 25 mile Charity bike ride around Rutland Water and being a cyclist I decided to join in. I dont think I'll struggle with 25 miles but I dont know what kind of terrain I'm up agaisnt. Most people are brining along there own (MTB) bikes or hiring them there. I have a road bike and wondering if it will be ok to use at Rutland Water. Some people said it would be fine and others have said I'll need a mountain bike. Don't know what to beleive and dont evne know if the people offering advice have even rode there.

Its getting a little competitive now and people are putting bets on whos gonna win. Looks like its turning into a race lol.

Anyway just wondering has anyone here rode at Rutland Waters and if so can you offer any advice and will my road bike be ok?

Cheers

The last time I rode round the cycle paths were generally quite good - with the exception of some places which at best could be described as "rough" - managed with care on a road bike

Pootling round on a road bike *could* be ok if it's dry and you ride carefully. However if it's either wet and/or you're going to be racing around at a fair lick then maybe a MTB would be a better bet. Out on the peninsula the quality of the track drops off a bit and so you'll need to be most careful there.

HTH
S

iendicott

I rode the 25 miler last year for BHF around rutland, wouldn't recomend a road bike as there are quite a few dirty tracks and gravel paths. I used my hybrid with no problems though. You can hire a cycle there if you wish.

Fiona N

Veteran
Check out 'Special interests - recumbents' forum - they organised a ride around Rutland water yesterday (Sunday 28th) for a bunch of recumbent trikes ;)

From my own experience (on a mtb with slicks) it's all do-able on skinny tyres in the dry if you're confident on occasional loose surfaces. If it's wet, it's a more tricky proposition as the compacted surface of the limestone chippings used for most of the track becomes rather slippery and there are some fairly muddy spots too. The terrain is fairly gentle with a couple of short steepish pulls (the longest is on tarmac).

When are you dong the ride?

If it's going to be when the weather is a bit warmer you'll probably find too many people, little kids etc, in the way to have any sort of race.

I've only pootled round it a few times with the family on a wide-tyred hack-bike. Definitely wouldn't want to do it on my road bikes - I spend too much time worrying about crashing and collisions.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Alien8 said:
If it's going to be when the weather is a bit warmer you'll probably find too many people, little kids etc, in the way to have any sort of race.

My thoughts too. I would frown on any idea of racing, because you could come round any corner to find a whole family pootling in front of you, especially near the car parks. Racing, even light heartedly, on a trail like that is fairly antisocial - it is used by pedestrians as well remember.

I'm sure it's doable, with care, on any bike, but there are patches of loose surface, and cattle grids. Sometimes together, as I found out to my cost (and that of my Mum, who braked hard behind me as I went down, caught a wheel in the grid and broke her wrist...:biggrin:)

jimboalee

I've been round Rutland Water.

Picture001.jpg

Had to get some cheese and a pie first.

Picture007.jpg

That octagonal building is the lavatories.

I went via Empingham and Uppingham.... where's Fnarr?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cunobelin said:
OOOOOH!

Economical with the truth, the home of "Stilton" is in fact "Stilton"

sign_cald1_600.jpg

depends a bit on what you call home...

Stilton wasn't made in Stilton. It was sold there, but made in Melton. I gather Stilton was on the old Great North Road, so it was a good marketing spot for the passing coach traffic.

OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

cheers for the info peeps.

Think I'll leave the road bike at home and hire out one of their mountain bikes.
Really wanted to ride my own but dont think my Schwalbe 23 slicks will cut it.

I wasn't aware it was a footpath also. I guess racing the others is not a good idea then. Mind you none of them cycle so I should be able to come first while riding in a relaxed manner :laugh:

I think its only got competitive because I'm the "fag" in lycra who cycles to work every day on his "fag" racing bike. I'm bored of all the comments regarding my lycra and the fact I should apparantly be riding a moutain bike to work because they are more manly :ohmy:

Top Bottom