Anyone here rode around Rutland Waters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
jimboalee said:
The craftmanship in the masonry was superb.

I assume you mean the Rip Rap on the face - Magnesium Limestone from Crick in Derbyshire - it has a relatively exact size distribution - which it was one of my jobs to check in 60 to 80T samples - every single piece in the samples were sized and weighed - following that we placed a trial patch by hand (well some of it using a machine) so that it could be seen how it fits together when they were placing it in earnest

Under the rip rap is a finer layer to prevent erosion of the clay that the dam is constructed from

Russdee

Hi,

I have rode around it three times o my road bike (do not have a mountian bike) which has 700 x 23c fitted.

There are a few sections that you need to take with care as they are a bit rough. I do think that you will struggle if it is very wet under foot.

Some of the decents can catch you out if you are not careful on a rode bike as you need to come to a halt a bit sharpish.

Good pub for lunch. Tea stops are basic but OK.

Bike shop OK too. The one at Whitwell is open all year; the one on the other side of the lake is shut and being re-buit.

Hope you have fun!

Cheers

Russdee

Arch

Married to Night Train
Vincealot said:
cheers for the info peeps.

Think I'll leave the road bike at home and hire out one of their mountain bikes.
Really wanted to ride my own but dont think my Schwalbe 23 slicks will cut it.

I wasn't aware it was a footpath also. I guess racing the others is not a good idea then. Mind you none of them cycle so I should be able to come first while riding in a relaxed manner :evil:

I think its only got competitive because I'm the "fag" in lycra who cycles to work every day on his "fag" racing bike. I'm bored of all the comments regarding my lycra and the fact I should apparantly be riding a moutain bike to work because they are more manly :laugh:

Oh, you'll wipe the floor with them then!:laugh:

Just watch out for the loose bits, and get your lead on the nice tarmac bits and road sections.:blush:

iendicott

Cunobelin said:
OOOOOH!

Economical with the truth, the home of "Stilton" is in fact "Stilton"

sign_cald1_600.jpg

Stilton is about 5 minutes from where I live and yes they do have races rolling cheese down the road in summer :sad:

There are 3 very short but steep hills, nearly everyone gets off and pushes !

Camgreen

kevin_cambs_uk said:
There are 3 very short but steep hills, nearly everyone gets off and pushes !

Yeah but one of those hills does have a pub at its summit:biggrin:

Going to Rutland Water in a few weeks, leaving the Trek behind in favour of the safer bet (imo) of a MTB

OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

Done the charity ride today. All done and dusted. Was a beautiful day and got a nice bright red nose. The track was nice and dry.

I decided to bring my road bike. Took some of your advice and took it easy which helped. Had 3 punctures in the rear tyre tho and didnt bring any spare tubes :laugh:

Was very enjoyable and wanna go again soon. Think I need to purchase either a cyclo-cross bike or a mountain bike now. something that can deal with that kinda terrain better.

Now to break the news to the mrs! "Babe you know I love you etc etc etc". "I'm looking at buying another bike...hint hint"

Top Bottom