Anyone in Headingley this morning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shippers

I saw my first recumbent cyclist this morning in headingley this morning. About 7.30. Anyone here?

It looks bloody uncomfortable! Is there some sort of head support?

potsy

Rambler
I see one occasionally in Stockport but he never lets on,seems a miserable bugger!! Must be all the exhaust fumes down there:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
shippers said:
It does seem to be a very vulnerable position. Low down, hard to see etc,
As opposed to a regular bike which is almost impregnable...

Most people manage to see the white lines on the road, you don't get much lower than that.

Seriously, which would you notice more, a Ferrari or a Transit van? People actually see recumbents, because they are odd, as opposed to just editing a normal bike out as part of the scenery. And because they can't work it out, they give you loads more room, hang back when they might otherwise squeeze through.

And uncomfortable? I never understand that idea. You can get headrests, some people use them, I don't, personally, I find it perfectly comfortable to sit in a comfy chair and watch telly, and I'm in just the same posture on the 'bent. Better than leaning forwad and craning the neck back to look forward. It all depends on the angle of the seat, and recumbent geometry can be a varied as that of uprights....

Anyway, wasn't me, I was still asleep at that time, didn't get to bed until 2am, due to a long trip back from Portsmouth....

mcd

shippers said:
I saw my first recumbent cyclist this morning in headingley this morning. About 7.30. Anyone here?

It looks bloody uncomfortable! Is there some sort of head support?

Not me, but if I ever head to Leads, I'll let you know. As for 'uncomfortable' if you mean 'sore' or 'painful', the lack of weight on arms and large area of support provided by the seat makes it anything but. If you mean 'not relaxing', it can be a bit tense before you get the hang of the balance and handling. How long this takes depends on the rider and bike and can take anything from an hour to a week (trikes are easy, but that's just cheating :laugh:).

shippers said:
It does seem to be a very vulnerable position. Low down, hard to see etc,
As opposed to a regular bike which is almost impregnable...

They're not as adept at filtering through stationary traffic 'cos you can't see over the cars in front to check for hazards. But once the traffic starts moving, all but the very lowest recumbents are fine for visibility etc.

shippers said:
OK, each to their own.
I'd give it a go, but I do quite like my normal bicycle!

Just as many cyclists also have a car, many recumbent riders also have 'normal' bikes. Neither of my recumbents are any match for my Stumpjumper when it comes to technical off road. Horses for courses and all that . . .

Arch

Married to Night Train
mcd said:
(trikes are easy, but that's just cheating :laugh:).

:sad:

If I had the money and the space, I'd like a 'bent 2 wheeler too, but if I can only have the one, the trike wins out - just so stable. Got my best ever downhill speed last week, 37.5mph. Not much compared to some, but I'd never get that fast on two wheels, I'm just chicken. Whereas I'm just waiting for the chance to better that.

I think I left bits of grin smeared all the way down that road...:tongue:

OP
OP
shippers

shippers

Going by MCD's profile pic, putting your foot down doesn't seem that stable! Can't see the Mrs allowing me to buy one- winter bike is next...

Arch

Married to Night Train
shippers said:
Going by MCD's profile pic, putting your foot down doesn't seem that stable! Can't see the Mrs allowing me to buy one- winter bike is next...

Ah, get a low racer, then you can put a hand down....:laugh:

My only 'issue' with two wheelers is the leg length. A big back wheel, and I have trouble getting my short shins* to reach the ground to stop. So if I ever get one, it's got to be small wheels (and preferably SWB and OSS - the ICE bike suited me, and I got on rather well with a Brompton conversion at SPEZI - typical of me to like a 3000 Euro bike...)

I have no trouble with the trike as a) its not going to fall over, no matter what, and :sad: my bum is about 6 inches off the ground.

*These are part of my generally short legs, I don't mean I have unnaturally low knees.

mcd

shippers said:

It wasn't at all stable before I 'got the hang of' the bike, but by the time that photo was taken (few months later?) relaxing with a foot on the ground and a beer in my hand while waiting for a ferry didn't feel at all uncomfortable.

Talk of winter training bikes and it's not even midsummer! Someone's got some big plans for next year! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom