Anyone in Newcastle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wife picked me up lunchtime as builder coming to our house, then as runningl ate I had to drive back to work.
Major flood at our ditribution centre (longbenton) so stuck at work til 6, then attempted to drive home.
After a mile and a half I had to go back to work (Sage at Gosforth), get changed and cycle home.
Best fun I've had in ages as the whole city and suburbs were gridlocked!

Had 4 guys laugh at me as I left our site, I'll have had the last laugh as they probably not get home til late tonight.

NEVER seen rain like it!

Wife just shown me two pics on Facebook, the coast road at top of shields road just the top if a cr roof showing out of he flood and the Tyne Tunnel north bound in 3ft of water!
Complete and utter chaos up here... Took a colleague 2.5 hours to drive 15 mile home to Prudhoe.

dawesome

p6281514.jpg

albion

Guru
I did not realise the chaos until the evening ride across to Washington. At least I was moving. Everyone else was on a forced and blocked detour no doubt.

I got caught in Sundays deluge at South Shields but this one was more prolonged.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...newcastle-videos-and-pictures-72703-31284080/

Stone debris was almost everywhere on the roads with what looked like landslides where there was not really any land to slide!
I'm up in higher Gateshead and even here a water manhole on my street has bee pressured up and off.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
I did not realise the chaos until the evening ride across to Washington. At least I was moving. Everyone else was on a forced and blocked detour no doubt.

I got caught in Sundays deluge at South Shields but this one was more prolonged.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...newcastle-videos-and-pictures-72703-31284080/

Stone debris was almost everywhere on the roads with what looked like landslides where there was not really any land to slide!
I'm up in higher Gateshead and even here a water manhole on my street has bee pressured up and off.

It's pretty shocking like. There have been land-slips in Jesmond Dene and on the railway between Newcastle & Berwick. Floods have formed all over the place. The 6 Bridges ride was cancelled tonight. I hope it won't affect he Leazes Park crits tomorrow and the Cyclone on Saturday.

albion

Guru
I realised after I wrote the above that the road debris was obviously tidal debris.

Quite surreal considering I was then cycling in glorious sunshine.,

Pisquee

Regular
Not cycling, but I was up working at The Sage Gateshead, and from outside the crew room door (at the worst of the rain) you couldn't see across the river to Newcastle the air was so full of rain! Am now on a train back to London, running more than an hour late.
Was surprised when up, at the amount of cyclists on the pavements, including quite serious looking commuters etc, not just the kids you see in London. Especially on Tyne Bridge, no cyclists were on the road, all of them on the pavements -where I don't recall seeing dual use signage. The road is nice and wide here, and didn't seem to be going too fast to have been uncomftable to cycle in with the traffic.

albion

Guru
The Tyne Bridge is dual usage, c/w with a very useful entry point off the A167 heading north.
The 4 car lanes are extremely narrow and with car speeds very fast approaching the A167M 99%+ of cyclists do use that pavement

On the high level bridge cycles are actually restricted to the pavement.
The Millenium bridge is for cyclists and pedestrians. This leads to rhe river path at the north of Tyne side which is Hadrians cycleway C2C.

AndyRM

XOXO
'Twas mental. Ended up walking home from Regent Centre in what became blazing sunshine. Was surreal getting back to Wallsend and seeing two submerged cars under the Walkergate Metro bridge.

Wish I'd been on my bike today, but the monsoon on Sunday caused me to knacker my tyres on an unsighted gremlin in the road. I'd have loved nipping through all those cars! That said, even on foot I was quicker than traffic, which was barely moving from Coach Lane to Wallsend. There was still a double sided queue on the high street when I went out at 11!

Top Bottom