Anyone in Newcastle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
it was only a light rain shower :rain:

standalone

My Local under water ... anyone got any spare flippers?

I was at work. We were just leaving our training school to return to Station at about 4pm. The sky was an awful colour, and one of the guys commented that we were going to be busy. Within a matter of minutes we were on our way to the first of many calls. Mostly flooding, but also fires caused by lightening strikes and other weather related rescues (not to mention having to respond to the normal calls)

At one point I was up to my chest in water in someone's sitting room, a totally surreal experience. As things progressed more and more roads closed and the traffic just came to a total standstill. Lots of ignorant motorists ploughing through deep water without regard for anyone else. But the majority were very understanding and patient.
A lot of people facing total devastation this morning. We were due to end our shift at 6 pm, finally got relived at 9.30pm. The nightshift guys have been working through the night and will be out all day and probably into tonight as well. Let's hope it doesn't rain too much today.

Peoples fasinatation with floods never fails to astound me and some of the stupid things they will indulge in. For gods stay out of the water, it is full of all types of contaminants. Drain covers will be open under the surface, and are a disaster waiting to happen. I saw kids yesterday waist deep in filthy water while parents looked on, unbelievable!

27 years in FRS and never experienced scenes in Tyne and Wear that we had yesterday.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Update: email from organiser saying crits, cyclone and sunday going ahead. Roads open, but be careful of debris, gravel etc.

al78

Guru
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing (or so we're told). :whistle:

Joking aside, it looks a spectacular end to what has been an eventful month weather-wise.

Top Bottom