Anyone in touch with their Council?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Other than using their bike as a means of transport does anyone work/hassle their local authority to promote cycling?

AndyRM

XOXO
I was recently, as North Tyneside council had put up a cycling lane between Tynemouth and Whitley Bay, then taken it down within a matter of months. Seemed like a total waste of time and resources.

Drago

Legendary Member
I occasionally hassle them, and unflinchingly comment upon cycling infrastructure proposals.

Generally though, I'm from the Mandela school of cycle campaigning. In the long run the best thing we can do is be there, and ride, and persistently not go away. Over time another will join us, and then another, and one day we'll be the unstoppable force that is the majority and then they have to listen.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Emailed the County Council's Rights of Way officer after a footbridge has been put over a bridleway in the village but it had reduced headroom for people riding horses so they dug out under the bridge to create the headroom- which now floods. I've asked them if a permanent diversion order has been put in place for the changes [if it hasn't...:ohmy:] as the ramps they've created under the bridge are too steep, where it was once flat for cycling, horse riding and walkers. Waiting for their response- have a feeling this isn't going to go away for some months...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I ask because I have done the same. Especially since the advent of Covid. I think it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for councils to take the bull by the horns and promote local community, shops and getting about in the local areas. To date not met with much interest.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To date not met with much interest.
Keep trying different people. Officers and councillors. For greatest effect, you need to find someone with interest, ability and power. If you find some with interest and ability, it's worth keeping talking with them because they may get power one day.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
We've got a new transport plan & there's a meeting next month re. climate change so I'm having my say on both when I get the chance.

Also hassling for a cycle stand at the shops. I've also pointed out a couple of "features" with existing paths. One is being addressed at the minute & the other is on a list to be done when money allows.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I mailed mine an entire 'plan' incorporating the benefits to health, financial and air improvements and someone did comment how ambitious it was and where I would start. I suggested a North South link up of out of town cycle paths and have heard nothing back in three plus months.

Top Bottom