Council Intensifies its War On Cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This story is the tip of the iceberg, the article I link below mentions claims the enforcement officers are ignoring youths or those travelling too fast to stop.

Council Accused Targeting Old And Slow Cyclists

The "stick it up your ar*e man" is 82, and was fined after returning to his bike which was locked up.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
To be fair @Slick we don't know the back story. There could could have been an infestation of yobs on bikes terrorising the poor grimsbarians and they were banned from the centre.
I'm still not going there though.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
To be fair @Slick we don't know the back story. There could could have been an infestation of yobs on bikes terrorising the poor grimsbarians and they were banned from the centre.
I'm still not going there though.

I think @wiggydiggy link has the back story and the belief of many that they are targeting the wrong lot as they can't catch the yobs.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I'd like to see them target me.

Blakey - "Name?"

Me - "**** off."

Blakey - "Hey,come back!"

These council taliban don't have the power to detain you, and if they don't know your name they can't issue a summons. Refuse to engage and leave the area, pronto.

Things are a bit different here Germany sadly, It's an offence not to carry your ID on you and generally it's the police who will be doing the enforcing. I've seen it a number of times on the trains where someone tries to fare dodge and tells the conductor to do one when asked for ID. Invariably it ends in tears when the Police show up, there's normally one on board or waiting at the next station.

I was stopped in central Hannover a couple of years ago, it was fifteen minutes after the pedestrian zone time started and I decided to nip through the street as a quick shortcut. The Police were out that day on a sting operation and stopped me, it's a €15 on the spot fine. I did try the dumb English man trick briefly before the policeman spoke to me in perfect English and pointed out the rules I'd just broken. He marched me to the back of the patrol car where they even had a card machine to take on the spot payments! They were catching a lot of cyclists that day.

Must admit the fines mentioned in the article seem well over the top though, over a hundred pounds! that's beyond a joke how the hell is that justified?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Things are a bit different here Germany sadly, It's an offence not to carry your ID on you and generally it's the police who will be doing the enforcing. I've seen it a number of times on the trains where someone tries to fare dodge and tells the conductor to do one when asked for ID. Invariably it ends in tears when the Police show up, there's normally one on board or waiting at the next station.
'Don't tell him Pike'.

Drago

Legendary Member

I was stopped in central Hannover a couple of years ago, it was fifteen minutes after the pedestrian zone time started and I decided to nip through the street as a quick shortcut. The Police were out that day on a sting operation and stopped me, it's a €15 on the spot fine. I did try the dumb English man trick briefly before the policeman spoke to me in perfect English and pointed out the rules I'd just broken. He marched me to the back of the patrol car where they even had a card machine to take on the spot payments! They were catching a lot of cyclists that day.

Must admit the fines mentioned in the article seem well over the top though, over a hundred pounds! that's beyond a joke how the hell is that justified?

We found in the Army that shouting at Germans in an authoritative voice (for those of us that Deutch sprechen) was enough to make to locals hop to it immediately.

This seems to appear in the press every few years
People who are ridng through at a slow speed and are generally being careful - stop and geta fine

The local yobs just ride off laughing
In one place someone observed that the local kids were doing circuits around and through the town centre for laughs

then a few months later the same thing in another town

Top Bottom