Driverless vehicles - Will they change cycling in any ways?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran

simongt

Guru
I can see companies seeing this as a way of forcing people to get their car services and updated at the Main Dealer and trying to get people to avoid local garages.
Also, allied to this point, as there's now so much 'tech' involved in new cars etc., non dealership garages are having a hard time in finding suitably qualified staff and also funding the expense of putting the staff they do have on upgrade courses as the new techno stuff keeps appearing.
Maybe a covert way of main dealers getting rid of decent, value for money garages - ? :whistle:

icowden

Veteran
Also, allied to this point, as there's now so much 'tech' involved in new cars etc., non dealership garages are having a hard time in finding suitably qualified staff and also funding the expense of putting the staff they do have on upgrade courses as the new techno stuff keeps appearing.
If it's EV, the tech should be managed centrally and updated OTA. No need for garages other than new tyres and brake pads and possibly a body shop.

No need for garages other than new tyres and brake pads and possibly a body shop.
Rubber boots on the steering, suspension unit replacement, faulty locks, wiper motors and wiper blades, faulty wiring, battery replacements, replacement light units, replacement windscreens, faulty sensors on wipers, lights & reversing systems. Problems with heating systems and air conditioning units, electric motor failures. Various bearings. Electric window failure. Windscreen washer motor/tubing. Heated window faults. Faulty computer boards/processors. Faulty GPS screens & radios. Problems with charging. Water ingress. Loads of stuff I am not experienced enough to list. Friendly bet that all your vehicles have been very new and/or serviced for you :smile:

icowden

Veteran
Rubber boots on the steering, suspension unit replacement, wiper motors and wiper blades, replacement light units, replacement windscreens, faulty sensors on wipers, lights & reversing systems.Various bearings. Electric window failure.Windscreen washer motor/tubing. Heated window faults.
Agree with these.
faulty locks,, faulty wiring, battery replacements, Problems with heating systems and air conditioning units, electric motor failures. Faulty computer boards/processors. Faulty GPS screens & radios. Problems with charging. Water ingress. Loads of stuff I am not experienced enough to list.
These are likely to need the manufacturer's intervention with EVs I'd have thought.

Friendly bet that all your vehicles have been very new and/or serviced for you :smile:
Yep. Well my recent ones. There aren't many old EVs.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Maybe a covert way of main dealers getting rid of decent, value for money garages - ? :whistle:

Main dealerships also suffering from EV's clogging up the workshops too.

Our VW needed a new windscreen washer pump under warranty two weeks ago.

Was a hell of a job getting the car seen at short notice ie less than the 3 week wait they originally suggested!

'Decision' to over-ride work currently booked in, had to be escalated to the Service Manager (very helpful chap) who said that his guys were overloaded with EV vehicles that take longer to work on.

Maybe just VW problem?

Maybe a case of a dealership under-investing?

Who knows, and it's a big slick modern dealership, not some tired and dated outfit

icowden

Veteran
'Decision' to over-ride work currently booked in, had to be escalated to the Service Manager (very helpful chap) who said that his guys were overloaded with EV vehicles that take longer to work on.
Maybe just VW problem?
Maybe a case of a dealership under-investing?
Probably a bit of both. EVs are far more technical and simple things seem to take a while. I had a rear door handle stop functioning on the ID4. It was seen for assessment fairly quickly and diagnosed, but procuring a whole replacement handle unit took about 6 weeks. First they had to order the handle, then send it to be sprayed the right colour (despite the fact I have the stock base colour car), then book it back in to have the handle fitted. They are still investigating why the paint job doesn't quite match.

Alex321

Veteran
There's a book that has been published which covers this exact topic, I've not read it myself, but I think I might order a copy:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Guide-Law-Driverless-Cars/dp/1912687682

Almost 5 years old. With the pace of change in this area, is it still really valid?

Though it is one of those where law changes are unlikely to really keep up with the possibilities.

Almost 5 years old. With the pace of change in this area, is it still really valid?

Though it is one of those where law changes are unlikely to really keep up with the possibilities.

Perhaps, but there will be a lot of good starting points in there (key statues / cases / commentary) - so will be a good starting point - ie, Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018.

As one source suggests:

"The first part of the act establishes that insurers are required to deal with all claims even when the vehicle is operating in automated technology mode. Insurers will also have a right of recovery against manufacturers and the right to exclude liability where the relevant individual fails to keep the software up to date.
The second part of the act deals with the electric vehicle charging infrastructure including issues such as availability, compatibility vehicle types, reliability standards and standardising how they are paid for." (https://www.aon.com/unitedkingdom/insights/automated-and-electric-vehicles-act-2018.jsp)

There are some much more expensive books out there which will be more up to date.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
Pothole mode activated. Your car will now avoid potholes to save future suspension maintenance costs. Please note that other safety systems are disabled when PHM is active.
In the event the automated system does encounter potholes, an automated lawsuit will be filed against the council responsible for said pothole and you will be reimbursed.

PHM is currently in beta testing and we cannot be held accountable for.....

Top Bottom