Driverless vehicles - Will they change cycling in any ways?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A friend recently bought a Honda Jazz. Every time she starts the engine she has to remember to turn off the automated 'safetly' assistance that tries to take over the driving and plough her into hedges (rural area). They have had a few near misses. It cannot be adjusted in the software.

Although this is not quite the same as driverless vehicles, it is clearly a hazard in some situations and thinking about this has caused me to wonder how I will feel if driverless vehicles get a full go ahead (or even major tests around the UK). The tests of these vehicles have been I think significantly reduced in the USA due to sudden stop issues, hitting other things and I seem to remember the first death of a human from an automated car hitting them during testing on the road.

- Anyone had experience in driverless testing areas?
- Do you think driverless vehicles (cars, buses, lorries) will be safer or more dangerous for cyclists?
- Are you likely to change your route once driverless vehicles are common?
- Do you think driverless vehicles will discorage new cyclists?
- What other good / bad issues have I not thought of in relation to cycling?

I also wonder how employment/society will be impacted when/if every driving job is scrapped in a fairly fast time frame, once driverless gets a 'no limits' go ahead from governments.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This the lane keeping software than doesn't like country roads.

I'm actually looking forward to it, although I plan to cling to my non-automated car to get the best out of it.

The driverless ones will have the full safety gizmos to stop them prior to a collision, which means I'll be able to pull out or step across a road at will, knowing they'll all just slam on to let me through, like the parting of the red sea for ancient pedestrians. :laugh: :becool:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I'm actually looking forward to it, although I plan to cling to my non-automated car to get the best out of it.

The driverless ones will have the full safety gizmos to stop them prior to a collision, which means I'll be able to pull out or step across a road at will, knowing they'll all just slam on to let me through, like the parting of the red sea for ancient pedestrians. :laugh: :becool:
In 'Ull, come on, they'll soon learn how to bypass the brakes and run you over on a crossing, so no change really.

Might be best asking about the Honda Jazz feature causing the problem in a dedicated forum or group.

As for driverless cars in general, it depends how well they are tested and whether manual control is still possible. On account that impatient drivers will take control when the automation is not making fast enough progress for them. I suspect insurers and judges/juries will soon take a dim view of that though.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

Good luck with that one.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

I suspect, if you do that, you will not become an ancient pedestrian :laugh:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Might be best asking about the Honda Jazz feature causing the problem in a dedicated forum or group.

As for driverless cars in general, it depends how well they are tested and whether manual control is still possible. On account that impatient drivers will take control when the automation is not making fast enough progress for them. I suspect insurers and judges/juries will soon take a dim view of that though.

Boeing, Doors ?

Drago

Legendary Member
I've switched off rhe Lane keeping and autonomous braking in my MINI. If I were Mr Magoo with the coordination of Mr Bean then it might be us3ful, but I'm a class 1 dibble driver FFS and I can do far better when I'm left to it.

If my driving deteriorated to the point where these tools were beneficial then I probably shouldn't be behind the wheel anyway.

Top Bottom