Anyone know a cheap but sound way to call overseas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
... but very poor line quality without an internet connection at both ends.

Yes because without an internet connection it won't work:laugh:

If we're talking 4g vs home wifi then it really depends on many things as my 4g is far better than my home wifi, out on the road it then depends on the 4g coverage, these days it's pretty darn good though.

I have to say it's very rare i'm calling a land line number these days. I switch all my clients over to WhatsApp communication as soon as i deal with them and i'm on the phone (WhatsApp) to the Middle East for 1-2hrs a day, 6 days a week. Only China is an issue as WhatsApp is only allowed in HK so without a HK sim you can only use WeChat in the mainland.

Last edited:
Watsapp lets you phone people like on a regular call and the sound quality is excellent.

I had not appreciated this. Even on a land line?

Globalti

Legendary Member
No you need a smart phone with the Watsapp app loaded, which is free, easy and no contract or commitment. You can also make video calls. It's really excellent.

newts

Veteran
Whatsapp calls aren't data hungry if calling over 4G, call quality is generally very good. Video calls will eat into monthly data.
Wifi is best if available.
I used to use 'dial123' for overseas calls, very cheap & reliable.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I think I have a winner! For me at least. WhatApp & Messenger look great, but neither, it seems, actually works quite like a regular call. They need corresponding apps on the other end, alert people to calls with in-app prompts and the like. I need something where I can phone someone from my mobile, using their number, and talk to them just as I would over the phone. And it seems Skype lets me do that, very easily, for around 10p a minute.

Thanks to all who responded. And do let me know if I've got the wrong end of the stick, or if you have a better suggestion ^_^.

Skype and WhatsApp should allow you to do this. My son works in Oil Industry, and is sometimes in far flung places, I have phoned him from UK, and mainland Europe, using both. WhatsApp and Skype to his mobile, in Gulf of Mexico, Baku and South China Sea. In some instances he was actually on a ship, but, near enough to shore to get a mobile signal. Not sure this matters, but, he is with Vodaphone, I am with Tesco Mobile (O2). I have made "normal" calls this way, ie just dealing his number, if I want to make a video call, I use FaceTime (we are both iPhone users). With Skype, there is a small charge, forgotten what it is, but, a few pence per minute.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Poor old BT. Serves 'em right for being so incompetent.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Skype is another option. It will phone out to a normal number - Call Saudi Arabia directly using Skype | Starts from 5.3p/min
Wot he said....

I often call Australian landline numbers and use Skype to direct call every time. Excellent quality. Just need to deposit £10 credit and away you go. If you're dialing a landline this is probably the best option. Dialing a mobile you can use WhatsApp call providing they use WhatsApp too

Top Bottom