anyone know a good road route to Oxford?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Lovely looking route, and I wish I could join in - but I'm elsewhere on Monday. But

Tweaked the Route a little, not so many hills at the start, just a bloody great big one! We have 4 miles on a main road from Amersham to Gt.Missenden, it doesn't get that busy especially on a Bank holiday. The rest of the route into Oxford is on 'B' and minor roads. If you want to cycle part of the way back the route passes the train station at Haddenham, and Tring station also. When I did this route back in March I didn't have a cafe stop but I'm sure we can find somewhere en-route.

Oh, no, no, no, no, no. That's a horrible road. I've driven it many times, but never seen a cyclist - it's a mix of dual carriageway, narrow twisty singlecarriageway and semi-improved semi-bypass. If you start at Amersham station (tubes, bikes allowed, from Baker Street) you're ideally placed for the road out via Hyde Heath. There are always cyclists on that road, as it's the only flat route out from Amersham!

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Lovely looking route, and I wish I could join in - but I'm elsewhere on Monday. But

Oh, no, no, no, no, no. That's a horrible road. I've driven it many times, but never seen a cyclist - it's a mix of dual carriageway, narrow twisty singlecarriageway and semi-improved semi-bypass. If you start at Amersham station (tubes, bikes allowed, from Baker Street) you're ideally placed for the road out via Hyde Heath. There are always cyclists on that road, as it's the only flat route out from Amersham!

Starting at the station and going through Hyde Heath is a better option ( don't know why I didn't think of that way in the first place!) so I've adjusted the route accordingly (for your garmin Dave!) and we now start from Amersham station at 9 a.m

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Thanks Jay and mr Tea excellent ride today, Zappi's bike cafe highly recommended. Only one hill today and rolling roads all the way back good stuff.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I really enjoyed the ride today, we had a good pace going even with the headwind, nice rolling countryside and I'm glad we found Zappi's cafe, I'm looking forward to cycling to there again. 101 miles for me.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I really enjoyed the ride today, we had a good pace going even with the headwind, nice rolling countryside and I'm glad we found Zappi's cafe, I'm looking forward to cycling to there again. 101 miles for me.
Damn, should have found an excuse to meet-up at Zappi's. Was Flavio in residence? Really nice guy.
Glad you had a good day out ... I was doing jobs around the house and earning Brownie points :sad:

Thanks for the company Topcat & Jay (extra big thanks to Jay for being a patient windbreaker and directions man
thumbsup.png
).

Hope to see you guys out & about soon.

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Running a bit late today ( due to a no show :angry: ) i rode up to Amersham 1/2 hour late so we decided to get a coffee and start at 10.

With Jay leading the way into a headwind we cruised up to Oxford in a couple of hours.

We then rode around looking for some food which was just around the corner but we took the scenic route.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62382682@N07/sets/72157627549445666/

Zappi's bike cafe if your ever in Oxford (great find Jay)

The ride back was a lot easier with the wind pushing us, i rode to Tring and jumped on a train 99.8 miles thanks again guys.

Zappi's looks interesting, Dave! Looks like you had the three-up racing team in line, because you left those kids in their trailers standing! :smile:
Did you ride it out from London HPC? And...did your newest toy work ok? If so, post the route please.

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I rode straight up the edgware rd, turned left at Stanmore A410 onto the A404 which runs to Amersham, we then followed the route in post 33

garmin works great (when you remember to press start :blush: )

still getting to grips with it

jayonabike