Anyone know about couriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Does anyone know of a good courier service ,I am looking to have a vintage bike delivered by courier but don't know were to start , the ones I have googled seem very expensive £100 or more most of the bikes on ebay get delivered for about £30-£40 ,hope some one can help with this .

D

Deleted member 23692

I've used these for big stuff including bikes, and never had a problem. Just make sure, as with any courier, it's wrapped up well

https://www.paisleyfreight.com/bike-courier

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have used Parcel2 Go as the booking agent the courier they used here in France is TNT. They collect from your address and in my case delivered to the UK for approx €80. That was for a bike packed in a box . Cost is calculated on size and weight of parcel so in this case the box was 100x70x30 cm and the weight was 16 kg. If you go on line to P2Go you will find that they provide a calculator so you can check potential cost etc.

simongt

Guru
Just make sure, as with any courier, it's wrapped up well
Wise words. I work in a warehouse, so have had plenty of experience of seeing the end result of substandard packaging. Too many courier coys employ underpaid, overworked staff who regularily get very p****d off with their lot, so take it out on the packages on the assumption 'If it's broken, they'll just claim on the insurance.' :angry:

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Thanks for all the reply's guys, that's a lot of reply's in a short space of time , the bike is at St Albans and trying to get it to Lancaster but not used a courier before .

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Wow User43827 that is one wrecked frame ,I think I must have been lucky up to now with mine , I have seen in the back of lots of carrier vans at my work and they look like they have been loaded with a loading shovel , like you would load a tipper truck ,so I can imagine the state they can arrive in sometimes .

Mrs M

Guru
Maybe best to just collect it yourself?
Last 3 items out of 4 I’ve had delivered by various couriers have been damaged, resulting in no question replacement items, no bikes though.

woodbutcher

Veteran
A lot depends on the packing a well packed frame or complete bike can survive a lot of handling by any of the couriers
I agree, dropouts need bracing to their appropriate widths. Remove stem and bars and wrap carefully. Remove cranks and wrap separately .Obviously remove wheels and wrap separately . If you do this the whole bike will fit into a 100x70x30 cm box and you can fill any spaces with polystyrene chips.
Sounds like hassle but it works and so far l haven't had a problem. ( also dont forget insurance option if the bike is valuable). Preaching over !!

GuyBoden

Guru
I've used these for big stuff including bikes, and never had a problem. Just make sure, as with any courier, it's wrapped up well

https://www.paisleyfreight.com/bike-courier

I used Paisley a few months ago, they arrived on time and delivered on time, without any damage.

I agree with other posters, spend a lot of time packing the bike very well in a box. I even wrapped the box in a whole roll of strong duck tape, both horizontally and vertically, because the boxes are only cardboard.

Top Bottom