Anyone know anything about Learner driver insurance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Both want to learn to drive - NOW! Apparently I need to sort out the insurance. Not entirely sure why - they're 21 & 24 - but apparently it is written.

I did look into this a year or three back - I have vague recollections of finding a buy-it-by-the-day deal that seemed to make better sense than buying months or taking a hit on our premium. Has anyone done this? Either way? Insuring offspring to learn. Recommendations? Horror stories? Things to look out for?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
They are adults. I’m sure they can sort it themselves.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
We used a top up scheme from Marmalade - not daily but I think quarterly IIRC. Other top ups are available.

Beware that premiums increase massively when they pass. Might be a lot cheaper for yours (ours were 17)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I found whilst at "L" status the extra premium (admittedly on a cheap to insure car - a kia Picanto with an engine borrowed from a sewing machine) wasn't much, but once they passed it leapt up a bit. the issue is a well what is cheapest policy with a learned driver, almost certainly isnt once they pass, so it helps if they pass close to but before the renewal date so you can shop around again. A black box policy helps, but it means everyone hs to drive that car like a saint. (and not "The Saint" for old Volvo Coupe fans)

midlife

Guru
As learners just let them learn and pass their test using the instructors car..... Then have the nose bleed when they need insurance after that.

Jody

Stubborn git
I found whilst at "L" status the extra premium wasn't much, but once they passed it leapt up a bit.

That's how I remember it. Named driver on an already held policy was only a small increase but it shot up once they were no longer learning.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I put my eldest on a day insurance - it might have been Marmalade from memory.

The car type doesn't make much of a difference until they pass. My youngest's going to learn this summer and we've a very basic petrol Peugeot Tepee partly because it can carry lots of bikes/stuff and partly because the insurance is very cheap for a new driver.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
As learners just let them learn and pass their test using the instructors car..... Then have the nose bleed when they need insurance after that.
No way. Learning in my parents car was invaluable experience.
One time I drive the whole family from Surrey to Norfolk via A roads on L plates to visit my grandparents. It taught me far more than 30 minutes once a week with the instructor.

Drago

Legendary Member
When I taught Daughter #3 to drive 7 years ago I simply took out a learner policy to cover her on her own car (I had a Disco V8 at the time, wasn't letting her near that). I don't recall the cost but it wasn't obscene by any means.

These folks are adults and should be able to sort it themselves with ease.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No way. Learning in my parents car was invaluable experience.
One time I drive the whole family from Surrey to Norfolk via A roads on L plates to visit my grandparents. It taught me far more than 30 minutes once a week with the instructor.
agree, plus given the price of lessons, you'd spend more on the extra lessons / practice needed to pass, than on the extra insurance. it really helps taking them out 2 or 3 times, or as much as you can manage, between lessons, so they can practice what they've been taught, and master parallel parking etc.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
They are adults. I’m sure they can sort it themselves.
The only time my Dad was involved in my car insurance was the first time , it was 1971 I was a spotty clueless 17 year old with a provisional licence . I had just purchased my first vehicle a Ford Anglia van for £60 ( for pedants a Ford Thames 307E ) . He had gone into the insurance brokers he used , he came home from work thrust the quote at me and said “ Saturday morning go in with your cheque book and pay “ . It was £48 a fortune for an apprentice plant mechanic. He had flatly refused to have my name anywhere near his unblemished policy.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all. Marmalade looks like the biz. Not least because I've only just rearranged our insurance, so probably not the best time to add them.

In passing, I agree entirely with the gist of 'practice makes passes'. I never had a (paid) lesson, but I did drive hundreds of miles before taking my test. I've always felt that once the formal necessities are covered, testers are mostly trying to make a judgment as to whether this person is basically competent. Does their body language and general behaviour suggest someone who's confident but not arrogant, someone who is looking in the right directions, someone who is noticing things ahead and making appropriate responses, that sort of thing. Nothing wrong with lessons, but I do believe it's time behind the wheel that makes the difference.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I agree with practice makes passes . In my case I did have formal weekly lessons ( first words from my instructor I won’t teach you to pass your test I will teach you to drive ) these were supported by regular practice sessions in my own vehicle Dad riding shotgun . I was fortunate my job provided opportunity for practicing low speed manoeuvres and reversing.

Julia9054

Guru
I put my eldest on my insurance when he was learning. Approximately doubled my premium. This was a mistake as he didn‘t live with me but was planning on popping back at weekends to practice. The number of times he actually did this made it very expensive. He would have been better off using the “purchase by the day to drive someone else’s car” type insurance on the days when he could come and practice.
Youngest about to start learning and as he doesn’t live here either, he will do it that way.

Take a look at Admiral. They were really good when my son was learning to drive (in his own car, thanks to Grandma!) and didn’t fleece us when he passed and moved on to his own insurance.

I believe that they are owned by Endsleigh, who were outstanding when it came to our travel insurance renewal and cover for holidays booked before Covid, despite the policy coming up for renewal during the pandemic.

Top Bottom