Anyone know anything about shock absorbers for a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
..I need help ...(yes we know)....but..

Look my L Reg beamer is makeing some cruddy noises in the suspension department and feels unstable to drive. I had a garage look a tit and they said it needs new shocks all round. Hmm...and it so happens that four new shocks will probably set me back what the car is worth...anyway...I suspect they are trying to sell be front shocks when rear only will do. How can I be sure?

I cant go poking around underthe wheel arches because I have no idea what a shock absorber even looks like...should I jus tbounce the car or something??

Mortiroloboy

I'm no mechanic, but I believe that help to reduce road vibration/shock, whereas the springs help the car stay on the road.:biggrin:

dudi

bounce each corner up and down... you'll need to push very hard.

The car should stop vouncing before the 2nd bounce finishes after you let go.

If not, the shock needs replacing.

Do each corner and you'll find out which ones need doing. You'll also be able to figure out if the rear ones are worse than the front as they'll bounce longer.

At least that's what I did with my MG

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Bouncing the car is simplistic but may give you an idea. Bounce the front or rear hard several times then release it. If the car keeps bouncing it is a sure sign the shocks are clapped. The problem is that if it does not continue to bounce, it does not mean they are ok. They could be leaking oil for instance, or the rubber bushes may be shot.

If you are not sure, ask the opinion of a second garage.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you "bounce" the car at each corner it should only come back up once and then go down halfway again, if my memory is correct. Make a visual check to see if any of the shocks are leaking fluid, the most common cause of failure.

Garages do tend to try it on with shock absorbers, fitting new ones is money for old rope.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Exactly....

Cars with shot shockers - the wheels just bounce everywhere...easy to spot from a following car. You can check by bouncing each corner.

GentleBenn

Veteran
Hi, from my limited experience, a good shock, when pressed down(put all your weight on it) should go up, down and back to rest and listen for any knocking ,grinding ! You could always take it to another garage and get a second opinion, thats what i would do !

Night Train

Maker of Things
Technically the springs are the shock absorbers as they absorb the shocks from the road. The dampers dampen the spring occilations and prevent uncontrolled bouncing.

If you look under the wheel arch you will see at the front a vertical post with a coil spring wrapped around it. At the back the spring and the post may be seperate. The post is the damper and it is telescopic like a leg of a suspension fork. It should also have a rubber bellows or sheild over the sliding part of the damper.

If the lower part of the damper is wet then it is leaking fluid and will need to be changed as an axle pair. The bounce rest as already mentioned is also a good indicator. Instead of just jumping on it try gently bouncing each corner of the car up and down to set it bouncing and then stop to see if it carries on.

Another possible cause of your problems could be worn out suspension bushes. At all the points where the suspension components connec to the chassis and sometimes to each other there will be a rubber bush. If the bush is worn the the suspension will feel loose and uncontrolled. To check the bush you may need to use a crow bar between the components to see if there is any movement in the bush.

Best to replace in pairs as new one will mess up balance as it will not act the same as remaining old one.

Clonks are more likely to be rubber bushes giving up or wearing out. Try to isolate when noise or any other symptoms happen.

Other test - try driving fairly slow, car park speed and slam on brakes. Front should dip evenly and then just come up again. If dip is uneven (one side more) or it bounces up and down then shocks gone.

It could be a broken spring

LLB

Don't go to Kwik fit for advice, they will tell you things need replacing even when they don't. They caught me out on my 1st car years ago :smile:

Get the new bits at a motor factor, not a BMW main dealer, and ask for the best price as they will haggle as they all use a pricing structure.

On a car of that age, you may even get a set from a vehicle dismantlers for sensible money.

oxbob

If it is only the rear end which is harsh over bumps/potholes it might just be the anti roll bushes worn

Top Bottom