Anyone know anything about shock absorbers for a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

BigonaBianchi said:
..I need help ...(yes we know)....but..

Look my L Reg beamer is makeing some cruddy noises in the suspension department and feels unstable to drive. I had a garage look a tit and they said it needs new shocks all round. Hmm...and it so happens that four new shocks will probably set me back what the car is worth...anyway...I suspect they are trying to sell be front shocks when rear only will do. How can I be sure?

I cant go poking around underthe wheel arches because I have no idea what a shock absorber even looks like...should I jus tbounce the car or something??
what you need to do is go straight in there making it clear from the start that you believe only one/some of the shocks need changing, and if they start to suggest that to you that they all do, then pitch in with the teeth-sucking - play them at their own game.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I agree, ther eis no way i will try to do this myself. It will of course go to a good garage, my nieghbour also has a beamer and he has recommended a qualified BMW type bloke who fixes his and he trusts...so that sounds good to me. I jus twanted to learn as much as I could about this so that i can talk to the garage without getting conned.

bonj2

oh god no, certainly dont' even think of doing it yourself. You need spring compressors and all sorts. I'd be terrified of them pinging out and knocking your block clean off.

jon the student

_Ben_ said:
oh god no, certainly dont' even think of doing it yourself. You need spring compressors and all sorts. I'd be terrified of them pinging out and knocking your block clean off.

Very true, a wound coil spring will make short work of your torso! Definitely recommended for a garage or someone you trust with a lot of suspension experience.

Agree with fossyant too, get some good recommendations from people at work or something and give them a ring. You even have a ballpark figure for shock absorber replacement now too!

bonk man

I have on occasion done these springy devils and the job is a sweaty one.....fear...................but not a difficult or long job with the right kit, a garage could assemble them in half an hour so don't get ripped off... you can also buy complete struts from breakers yards..

jon the student

I would steer clear of struts from breakers yards, as without taking the spring off it is really quite hard to see if the shock absorber itself is knackered; they're normally really grimy.

I've done umpteen sets of springs, if you take your time and know what you're doing it can be a doddle.

johnnyh

Veteran
Did a full set myself, first corner took 2 hours, but then I got the hang of it and the last corner took 45 mins. Car passed MOT twice since so reckon it's fine :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
johnnyh said:
Did a full set myself, first corner took 2 hours, but then I got the hang of it and the last corner took 45 mins. Car passed MOT twice since so reckon it's fine :thumbsup:

Shut it...not a good job to do........ find a good garage.... :biggrin:

I service and do most stuff on my Primera - last edition P12 (sat nav/computer electronics..so very techincal) but the mechanicals are easy.....I got the Nissan service CD.... service it as needed........

But, certain bits on any car need proper stuff......shockers etc.... not funny - garage job, and indeed rear disk pads - faffing about with winding cylinders back... = no saving of cash.....

Night Train

Maker of Things
Take it from a ex time served mechanic.
Dampers are fairly easy if they are on their own and you have the right tools. MacPherson struts are a right old pita if you don't know what you are doing or have all the tools to hand. Everything seizes up and you need spring compressors and ball joint separators and you need to know how to use them safely.

Don't buy anything for your brakes, suspension or steering from a breakers, there is usually a reason the donor car is there.

jon the student

I agree that certain jobs are better left to pros, but then pros these days (and i use that term loosely) can sometimes be some scruffy 16y/o apprentice who doesn't even know what a spanner is!

And labour at £40+ an hour? fook that... (excuse my french)

Listen to Night Train I say.

tyred

Legendary Member
I have always repaired my cars myself and I can do both front shocks in a MK1 Golf in around an hour.

Top Bottom