Anyone know anything about trikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Yup. I've seen it. Somewhat overpriced I thought.
Cheap crap from virus Central.
Ebay is flooded with those and similar offerings.

Anyone know about Jorvik trikes? Presumably they come from York, but they look reasonable at the higher end of the spec range.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yup. I've seen it. Somewhat overpriced I thought.
Cheap crap from virus Central.
Ebay is flooded with those and similar offerings.

Anyone know about Jorvik trikes? Presumably they come from York, but they look reasonable at the higher end of the spec range.
Do a search for them on here. Not the best of reviews.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
No worries. The main thing that worried me in that particular thread was that the guy had bought via Amazon. Amazon had told Jorvik to give a full refund and they point blank refused.
I'd rather go without, especially as I would probably buy direct, and then I'd be on my own. Small Claims Court is fine, but a lot of hassle and aggro.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
SWMBO has a venerable Pashley Picador trike. To put it politely it is ****ed.
She hardly uses it because it is a bit of a heavy rattle bang machine.
When it was in decent nick she could whizz allover the place it in. Has a basket for shopping and she would think nothing of going 10 miles into town on it.
She wants to get back out on it, but it needs replacing.
Obviously there could be supply problems - who knows how popular "barrows" are.
Pashley has 20" wheels and she wants bigget than these so 24" or maybe 26".
I've trawled t'interweb but know nothing about these things.
Some are readily available at under £300. More at around £500 and a few cost more than that which won't be value for money. We will go up to £500 for a decent bit of kit, but what is decent? LBS has no clues.

Anyone on here know anything about these machines?
I do indeed have a lovely trike, it's a Kentex although these don't appear to be on sale in the UK anymore.
Mine is quite highly modified though going from this

1623724106951.png

To this

BTW I still have all the original parts in the attic

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thank you. That's very good.
SWMBO knows less about trikes than I do. Her Picador must be 40 years old, and it shows. Heavy, rusty and everything about it says "please scrap me". It is hard for me to do even basic maintenance on it.
That one you highlighted is a world removed from what we have.
WE (That means I) have been looking at the Mission offerings. They are all out of stock. We(I) have put a notification on a couple of the cheaper models - she says that she will never get £1000 worth of value. I say we have the money so why not!!!
For me I'd refurbish the Picador, i'd bet all the parts are still available from Pashley, oh and unless you go for an expensive 'racing' Trike they're all heavy, that's why I put an electric front wheel on mine.

@vickster is right though @mickle is probably the best to answer any questions and also @Mr Magoo

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Thanks @raleighnut
I did think about refurb the Pashley, but got no help at all from the company. They totally ignored my emails and fobbed me off by phone.
Plus she wants bigger wheels. Don't ask why; I did once and still have the bruises.

D Tek in Cambridge.

there is (Was) a guy called kevin dunsheath - a total recumbent\trike enthusiast - a few years since I went down there to try out a whole load of bikes \ trikes - if he is still trading would be well worth a call.

The best trike IMHO is the current Pashley Tri-1 Seven speed. And I'll tell you for why. It's head and shoulders above any of the offerings from Jorvik and Mission. *Everything* about a Tri-1 is better, the design, materials, construction and components. It's a thoroughly resolved product which is made to much higher production standards than any of the budget Far East trikes. The only machines which might give the Pashley a run for its money are the few offerings from the Dutch and Germans, which are invariably more expensive (even before you factor in the cost of bringing one in). When I sold trikes and other pedal powered things for people with special needs the Pashley Tri-1 was far and away my favourite product. It's such a complete package - there are just two things that I would change about it: 1. It comes with a chromed steel seatpost. It really deserves an aluminium post. 2. The 10 week production lead time.

Re: Small wheels. Bikes lean into corners, which means that all the (gravity, bump forces and cornering) loads run straight down the bike through the wheels. The side loads are negligible. Trikes on the other hand don't lean in corners, so the wheels must be built strong enough to resist cornering loads. Small wheels are stronger. There are more spokes per inch of rim circumference. The spokes are at a more acute angle to better resist the forces imposed on them. They flex less than tall wheels under load, so they even handle better in corners. And (all other things being equal) the difference in efficiency (rolling resistance) between 20" tyres and 24" or 26" tyres is so minimal as to be undetectable from the saddle.

They retail for £800 (last time I looked). The going rate for good well used example off ebay is around £275 > £375. A mint one should sell for around £500.

If looking at a used folder check that the hinge closes securely. If a muppet has ridden it without fully tightening the folding mechanism it can bend the frame seriously enough to write it off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom