Anyone know anything about trikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
SWMBO has a venerable Pashley Picador trike. To put it politely it is ****ed.
She hardly uses it because it is a bit of a heavy rattle bang machine.
When it was in decent nick she could whizz allover the place it in. Has a basket for shopping and she would think nothing of going 10 miles into town on it.
She wants to get back out on it, but it needs replacing.
Obviously there could be supply problems - who knows how popular "barrows" are.
Pashley has 20" wheels and she wants bigget than these so 24" or maybe 26".
I've trawled t'interweb but know nothing about these things.
Some are readily available at under £300. More at around £500 and a few cost more than that which won't be value for money. We will go up to £500 for a decent bit of kit, but what is decent? LBS has no clues.

Anyone on here know anything about these machines?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
They've got three wheels.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Prices for new have gone up a fair bit recently. I had my eyes on this https://missioncycles.co.uk/product/mission-alloy-tribrid/ But its gone from 899 when i first looked to nearly 1100...

I liked the fact it has a differential on the rear wheels so drives both of them, rather than just the usual 1 wheel.

Second hand is going to be her friend i think. There are a few really cheap new ones that are sold on Ebay and are all rebadged "Schwinn Meridians" sold in the US, which have differing reviews. Some like them, some think they're junk. One review i watched some time ago had the rear wheel fold up on a gentle corner... I guess the point is, compared to the Pashley, she might find the reliability questionable, and being stranded on a Trike is probably no fun at all...

Pity she couldn't stick with a Picador. I haven't really looked very much but here's one, second hand nr Manchester that looks quite tidy for £325

Picador

I know @raleighnut has a kent trike that he has modified and likes perhaps he could offer more insight...

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Prices for new have gone up a fair bit recently. I had my eyes on this https://missioncycles.co.uk/product/mission-alloy-tribrid/ But its gone from 899 when i first looked to nearly 1100...

I liked the fact it has a differential on the rear wheels so drives both of them, rather than just the usual 1 wheel.

Second hand is going to be her friend i think. There are a few really cheap new ones that are sold on Ebay and are all rebadged "Schwinn Meridians" sold in the US, which have differing reviews. Some like them, some think they're junk. One review i watched some time ago had the rear wheel fold up on a gentle corner... I guess the point is, compared to the Pashley, she might find the reliability questionable, and being stranded on a Trike is probably no fun at all...

Pity she couldn't stick with a Picador. I haven't really looked very much but here's one, second hand nr Manchester that looks quite tidy for £325

Picador

I know @raleighnut has a kent trike that he has modified and likes perhaps he could offer more insight...
Thank you. That's very good.
SWMBO knows less about trikes than I do. Her Picador must be 40 years old, and it shows. Heavy, rusty and everything about it says "please scrap me". It is hard for me to do even basic maintenance on it.
That one you highlighted is a world removed from what we have.
WE (That means I) have been looking at the Mission offerings. They are all out of stock. We(I) have put a notification on a couple of the cheaper models - she says that she will never get £1000 worth of value. I say we have the money so why not!!!

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Thank you. That's very good.
SWMBO knows less about trikes than I do. Her Picador must be 40 years old, and it shows. Heavy, rusty and everything about it says "please scrap me". It is hard for me to do even basic maintenance on it.
That one you highlighted is a world removed from what we have.
WE (That means I) have been looking at the Mission offerings. They are all out of stock. We(I) have put a notification on a couple of the cheaper models - she says that she will never get £1000 worth of value. I say we have the money so why not!!!
I suppose that's the thing right there, the Picador you have is 40 years old and ready for the scrappers. They're built pretty much the same to this day so you know they're going to last. I suspect with the cheaper Chinese models, that is unlikely to be the case and you'll likely be "fettling" forever with them. But they are very cheap.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Yes, I've had a good gander at the chinese jobbies. They are crap!
I'm a bit curious about the picador you linked to.
I have a funny feeling about the saddle. One is included, but it doesn't fit the seatpost unless I buy a clamp. What happened to the saddle with the clamp?

The other week when I was in St Annes on Sea, I got talking to a lady about my age who'd had a trike for a couple of years and simply LOVED it; she said it gave her more freedom than she'd had for years. Unfortunately I didn't think to ask her what make it was, but I did gather that she'd had large tyres put on it so she could ride on the beach when the tide was out.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
The other week when I was in St Annes on Sea, I got talking to a lady about my age who'd had a trike for a couple of years and simply LOVED it; she said it gave her more freedom than she'd had for years. Unfortunately I didn't think to ask her what make it was, but I did gather that she'd had large tyres put on it so she could ride on the beach when the tide was out.
A Fatty trike. Wow. If she put enough air in those tyres she could have paddled across to us!!!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice one on Ali Express for Les than £100 :smile:

1623700623768.png
:smile:

Top Bottom