Anyone know how to get a seat post unstuck?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
As the title says, does anyone have any advice/tips/suggestions on how to free a seat post from the bike frame?

I've put a new gruppo on an old bike frame and the only cranks I could get are 175mm where the ones on the previous incarnation were 170 and that 5mm - it might not seem much - it irritates my perineum and I could do without it but the seat post seems super-welded into place and it will not shift.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a man who can not far from you, the seat post man.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Frame material? Seatpost material? Pretty unusual to "put a new gruppo on an old bike frame" without taking out, cleaning, light greasing and replacement of the seatpost, imho.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
That's brilliant, thanks everyone.

The post is aluminium and the frame is carbon.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Has anybody mentioned the seatpost man yet...? :whistle:

:laugh:

Big John

Guru
You persevere is what you do. You pour penetrating oil down the seat tube whichever way you can. If you have bottle cage bolts in the tube remove them and spray oil inside and lots of it. Turn the frame upside down and wait, at least 24 hours to start with. Then make sure the saddle is bolted on securely and try and twist the seat post. Once you have it twisting you've broken that bond and you're at least making progress. Then it's a case of securing the bike and start trying to pull the post out. If it's still a problem then more penetrating oil, more waiting. The problem here is the carbon frame. You have to use a sensible level of caution. No one wants to crack a carbon frame. Rush it and you could deeply regret it 😭

Aluminium oxide is dissolved by acid, hence people use coca cola. Vinegar is less sticky option. Invert frame and pour through open bb. Leave for several days.

Top Bottom