Anyone know how to remove a cemented in toilet to fit a new one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
That's it!:thumbsup:

Yay! I knew a thing!

MGBLemonrider

I'm also in the process of replacing toilet like the op. Today's lesson was reinforced whilst offering up everything to mark up and ascertain what size batten I'd need to fix the cistern to. Pan in place pushed in to connector. Just bringing cistern into place out drops one of the close coupling bolts and bounces down the pan, around the u bend and down the waste never to be seen again. Trip in to town to get another shouldered bolt!
Not only pack the soil pipe . Put something in the pan also, and leave it in there untill you add water!

Canrider

Guru
I'm also in the process of replacing toilet like the op. Today's lesson was reinforced whilst offering up everything to mark up and ascertain what size batten I'd need to fix the cistern to. Pan in place pushed in to connector. Just bringing cistern into place out drops one of the close coupling bolts and bounces down the pan, around the u bend and down the waste never to be seen again. Trip in to town to get another shouldered bolt!
Not only pack the soil pipe . Put something in the pan also, and leave it in there untill you add water!
Nonsense, you should have just run downstairs, yanked open the sewer inspection hatch, climbed down (only about 8-10' in my case, rungs provided) and you could have caught the bolt as it flew past...

Night Train

Maker of Things
Good tip!

I sometimes have a rag in the bottom of the bowl to save chipping it if a tool is dropped in it but not always. Other times I have already fitted the seat and lid and keep those down while fitting the cistern.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I have fitted, removed, replaced or relocated toilets around a dozen time in my current house alone. Then there are all the previous ones and the ones I was paid to do.

Not my most favorite of jobs....
Poo lined pipes are nowhere near as offensive as urine soaked floorboards when one is lying down behind a toilet bowl.

You're only down the road from me, there's a pint in it for you...

:tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
If it's a weekend, I'm willing to drive...

I better not have a pint though. A cup of tea would do...

(See how these little jobs snowball? You think it's just going to cost a pint, and before you know it, there's tea, and biscuits, and little cucumber sandwiches....)

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I'd take you up on that, and I am willing to come over on an advisory level, but I am still not work fit at the moment or particularly mobile.

However, a pint sounds good. :cheers:
^_^

Unfortunately my mode of transport is motorbike and i'm still on L plates so not allowed passengers, as my wife needs the car for work.

Whats the worst that can happen by carefully having a go?

the drain is not shared with anything else exiting from my house, might drop down to join drains from the rest of the run up the hill however so a bit of smell might emerge I guess

Night Train

Maker of Things
Unfortunately my mode of transport is motorbike and i'm still on L plates so not allowed passengers, as my wife needs the car for work.

Whats the worst that can happen by carefully having a go?

the drain is not shared with anything else exiting from my house, might drop down to join drains from the rest of the run up the hill however so a bit of smell might emerge I guess
Arch can always bring me over at the weekend, pm if you want and we can organise it.:smile:

What's the worst that can happen?
You could damage the soil pipe and so have to repair the end of it, or dig out the rest of it to replace a section. You could drop a load of 'muck' down the pipe and block it. That may not show up until it has had caused enough poo to back up and restrict the pipe bore.
You could end up with a cut that goes through the glove and your skin, from a sharp edge on the glaze when you smash the bowl and then get an infection.

Really, though, taking care will reduce the risk of such things happening.:smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the answer to the question is very, very slowly. You don't know what's beneath it, and if it's an earthenware or cast iron connection you don't want to be damaging it. So.........patience. Bags of it.

I'd drain it and stick an inflatable sac down the soil pipe once you've taken sufficient of the w.c away to feel your way below floor level.

Top Bottom